1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car guys - Check Engine Light ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 28, 2011.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    really !? get your money back and find a new school :rollno::scowl:

2. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Then find the leak. hoses, head gaskets....etc. It's a closed system and you shouldn't need to refill it.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    But there are no leaks / puddles in my parking spot.

4. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    so where is the coolant going then ? C'mon this isn't rocket science. You're losing coolant, where is it going ? You're either leaking it or burning it. Which is it then ? If you're burning it, you've got big problems. Has the car ever overheated, even just once ? I'm thinking blown head gasket or a cracked head now.

5. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Take a look at the coolant header tank level, see if it has dropped again. Could be an air-lock, leaking rad, look for dried chemical deposits (dried antifreeze) on the radiator/hoses.

Checking those fluid levels (everything you can) every month is well worth doing.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +1

It's going somewhere--I hope somewhere external and not into the oil or combustion chambers.

A small leak or a weak coolant cap can dribble coolant--as vapor, or liquid that evaporates on the hot engine surfaces--and not leave any telltale drips or puddles under the car. They can be difficult to trace down, but not impossible.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The car runs fine. Hoses seem fine. I'll give it another look over, check the rad again etc.

One thing I've learned thru this process is I have to spend more time looking after my car.

8. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I think if the head gasket has gone or the block has cracked, the car will start boiling up with-in 30 mins of use. You can unscrew the oil filler cap, if it has a pale (cream) colored residue on the bottom, the gasket has gone or is on its way out. Check if there is any oil mixed in with the coolant in the header tank too, another sign.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Often to find an external leak you have to clean and degrease the engine first. They're easier to spot on clean surfaces.

To find an internal leak, look at the color and consistency of the oil (on the dipstick, for example) or any goo on the underside of the oil filler cap. A chocolate milkshake-like froth could indicate the coolant's leaking into the crankcase. An unusual amount of white smoke in the exhaust means it's leaking into one or more cylinders.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    PO118 means the coolant temperature sensor is operating outside it's normal range. If you have access to a scanner, look at freeze frame data (the PCM takes a snapshot of data when a fault occurs) to see what the sensor was reading when the light turned on. The problem could be the sensor itself, the PCM or the wiring between the sensor and PCM.

Agreed with everyone that says the coolant loss issue needs to be addressed. Have someone pressure test not only the system itself but also the radiator cap.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Might be the cap.... or... THERE IS A KILLER AFTER YOU!!!!

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Helpful. Thank you.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1

A blown head gasket or cracked block will overheat a car real quick.

14. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I am so curious to see what this is...