Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car guys - especially Corvette guys (and girls...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What do you guys think of the L-48 engine? I know 180hp is tame by today's standards, but did it have enough 'kick' to be worth it?

Stingray with an L48....good idea?

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I only like C1's, C2's C5's and C6's

I really hate the C3 and 4 styling.

I love the LS6 454, but would rather have it in a Chevelle

ps check out my phone

edit that sucks Ican't find a pic of it, its a 63 split window.

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks for the quick...uh....answer...

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    :p ok that wasn't really an answer but yeah I wouldn't do it i'm not a huge fan of those gen vettes and it will be very underpowered with only 180HP. Despite being fiberglass vettes still weight alot.

5. If you are going for looks, then yes get the vette. If you are going for performance, the L48 is one of the doggiest engines.

The only way it will really have any kick is by being rearended by a semi truck. The LT1 in when the vettes started going back to performance oriented.. Then you have the notrious LT4 and the LS line of V8s..

I have an LT1 in my TransAm WS6. Although it doesnt have the top end that an LS1 has, it has low end torque to really grab your butt in the seat..

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Jon, I would look for a L-82 instead. 210 horses versus 180, and more torque to boot. If 'kick' is what you're after, you'll find more with the L-82 than with the L-48.

And if you really want more kick, bring it to NY and we'll put in the 350 horse 327 I've got laying around and go have some fun :eek:

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Mike, thanks. Yeah, I know the L82 is a better engine. I should explain my 'kick' question - I'm just wondering if it's still got that sports car feel. Or does the lower horsepower make it feel like a fake? (I'm gonna be driving a few of these, so I'll be better able to assess that)

Are there any other issues with that motor?

And hey, if you're givin' away that motor, I'll buy the car and come on out!

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude. you getting a vette? sweet. :hyper:

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Any vette is sweet!

I've contemplated saving cash for a vette, but may end up going with a first generation camaro, or 68-72 nova....if I ever save enough.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm thinking about it. Nothing firm yet, but mama wants me to have it....

You could be driving a viper... I play one Fender, so I can have a sports car! :D

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The bottom of the line Chevy 350 that my work sells is under $2000 - that's for a new engine that puts out 290 horse. I don't know about how involved the swap would be, but you'd be dropping in a NEW engine with a lot more power...

12. I don't know the engine codes of today, but something like an LT-1 350/375hp is what any sportscar needs. (or similar engine)

I think 180hp would be much too tame.

Back in the 70s, a friend of mine had a 426 hemi in a 1969 Road Runner with minimal work done to it (headers, aluminum intake manifold, ignition work) and that car was an absolute killer! :eek:

I still consider myself a Chevy man, but the 70s Mopar 340 engine was very strong for a smallblock engine stock from the factory. Two of my friends had 340 Dusters.

Ah, the memories. :cool:

Mike

13. Pac man, any Stingray is a great car and worth owning. Looks great and appreciates in value, can't beat it!

It's true that the L-48 is a pooch but that is easily remidied. I would recommend a crate motor over modification for original value. If the cars straight and clean and the price is right buy it. If you want to go fast, which every Vette owner does, save a couple grand and install a 300 - 350 HP crate motor. Once again, do not trade or sell the original block put it on a stand and let the value grow :smug:

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol. yeah. sometimes i wish i was heh. :hyper:

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Being a Vette it will have that sportscar feel in the ride and handling department, but will be lacking in the acceleration department. If you have a chance to do a comparison between the L-48 and L-82 I think you'll feel the difference.

No real issues with that engine, just your basic 350.

I'm not giving away the 327, but I'll bet we could have some fun burning up some tires with it. Only problem is once you feel the power of that, you'll become an instant speed junkie like me (you didn't think G.A.S. was limited to just Basses, did you?). Next you'll want 700 horses under the hood. :hyper:

My parting thought for this post is when your looking a Vettes, make sure some bozo hasn't hacked all the smog equipment off that you may need for your annual state inspections (if this applies to you). Your DMV website should hopefully have a regulation list posted so you can see what you need for a certain year car. Some of the smog stuff that people ditched back in the day costs big $ to replace today. And make sure that any upgrades someone may have done (headers, aftermarket intake/carb, open element air cleaner) will get you through a smog test.

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks, Mike - you rock.

And no, I knew GAS applies to anything. Bikes, cars, basses, golf....I've seen it all...

17. I had a 76 with L-42, not to shaby...nothing compared to my 73 nova in the 1/4 mile dept, but a nice looking ok handeling car.

The crank shaft snapped on me and I totally rebuilt that sucker. Its been 20 years and 15 cars later, so I can't remember exactly what I did to it but, I rebuilt the bottem end and the upgraded the valvetrain, port+polish, etc. and was pushing 350 hp! Back then it didn't cost to much, I would guess you could do a swap for the same $ today.

hardly a week goes by that I didn't wish I still had that old vette :crying: It was a sweet ride ,good luck.

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    On an old school Chevy V8 you can build power pretty cheaply, especially if you can do some of the assembly/installation work yourself. I built a 485 hp 383 smallblock (350 block bored .030" over with a 400 crank) for $3500, carb to oil pan. That included new aftermarket cylinder heads (Trickflow), a new Scat "cast steel" crankshaft, a new Holley double pumper, and an ATI damper. This thing 'kicks' like nobody's business, runs on 93 octane gas and can idle all day in traffic without overheating.

The car it's installed in (friend's 79 Z28) runs 11.70's on street tires.

These days if I was looking for a 300 ish horsepower engine to cruise up and down Main street I would consider a crate engine. Any GM dealer and most machine shops offer crate engines at really good prices. It almost makes more sense to buy one already done rather than to try and round up all the parts and do it yourself.

Best piece of advice I can give is to do your homework and spend the time researching the parts you really need, rather than hunting down the cheapest parts, or the "trick-of-the-week" part. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

19. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I don't know guys, that new KZ89g45blue9j and a half engine looks pretty sweet.
    not really, I'm a porsche guy. Porshuh, not porsh for future reference.

20. HOLY BORE & STROKE !!! :eek:

My friend's 340 Duster ran 14.20 in the quarter mile, and we thought that was fast !!!

Mike, when I first saw 383, I thought you were talking Mopar. :D

Mike ;)