1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car Guys... Settle a Bet for Me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, May 2, 2015.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Me and my dad were watching Hooper the other night and he swears that the rocket car (not the one in the chase, but the one that flew through the air) was actually a Datson 280z. We rewound it over and over and still couldn't agree. Watch the very end of this clip at 3:30 and tell me what you think.

h60nl8.1066.

25451130042_large.

[​IMG]

2. the_stoot64

the_stoot64

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    It's not a Trans am, the profile of the back end is wrong. And the nose isn't pointy enough for a Datsun Z.

3. The rocket car is some prop creation alright. It has the short foresection ahead of the front wheels similar in proportion to your Datsun. It also has the Americana rear guard action going on. For all I know it's a short nosed, short arsed TransAm. Might have been made like that to better survive a less than flat landing.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    48thStreetCustom likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh man, I forgot about this cool movie. I need to watch it again.

My vote for that car is a Trans Am.

-Mike

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    240Z

48thStreetCustom and thabassmon like this.
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I'd be willing to bet any of my guitars that it is: a fully triangulated tube chassis designed around a rocket/jet for the purpose of fixing four car wheels and a generic 70's coupe body to said rocket/jet with a full and thoroughly complete lack of any VIN numbers, lighting and passenger seats+restraints even though it would have been cheaper to just get a Z car and bodge a smoke machine into the bumper.

[Edit] just checked imcdb.com, someone in the comments sec also thinks datsun z. I think it's a George Barris. Forget the overhangs being chopped way too short for legality, the stretch between the door-mirror and the front wheel is obscene. It looks like the ambiguously gay duo car realized in red.

[Edit 2] this is going to bug me forever now, thanks. There is way too much light coming through the passenger side wheels for 1) pre-1990 mags 2) presence of typical hub-mounted brakes. Re: 1) wire wheels or ancient aliens Re: 2) diff mounted discs or no brakes at all because custombuiltforoneshot.
    ...maybe it was someone's (friend of a friend of a friend of Burt's) thrashed out old italian racer with the front smooshed in nearly flat which waaas gonna go to the scrapyard anyhow...

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I agree it's probably a one off.

It's definitely not an F body.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Agree with above.
    One-off, purpose built.

9. It's neither. It's a miniature crafted from larger scale model car parts, neither of which was a Pontiac or Datsun.

Why do Burt fans always think he's really doing the stunts in a real car?

Munjibunga and MattZilla like this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    looks like a chevy monza

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    that looks like no production model vehicle i've ever seen.

12. I HOPE MY WIRE-FIGHTIN' TEAM IS READY!

13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

The aerial shots are a miniature model shot in front of a Blue Screen. Use to do that for a living.

Munjibunga, ChrisB2 and MattZilla like this.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Looks like it could also possibly be a Toyota Celica 2000 GT Liftback

[​IMG] toyotacelica2000gtliftb.

toyotacelica2000gtliftb.

toyotacelica2000gtliftb.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    wow, I owned a couple of these , a silver one and a black one, cool cars, I'd love to find one to restore.

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I bet your right, would be the most practical and economical way to do that

17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    There was a silver automatic on cl up here for nearly six months

18. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    That's what I was thinking. The rear quarter panels are too fat to be any production car I've ever seen and the cabin is too far rearward for even the Datsun. Plus the thing just looks like a scale model...

19. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I seriously doubt it was a blue screen.

20. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Just curious. Do you believe that they filmed an actual rocket car flying across a real river?

Last edited: May 3, 2015