Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CAR Jazz Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Splanky, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    I have one of those nice CAR FSR Jazzbasses (or actually i have a LPB FSR to :p ) And i have always thought it was really good looking and so on until i saw this:

http://www.j-guitar.jp/sea/kuro_detail.cgi?pid=10041947

:eek:

That do you think?

I think it´s unbelievably good looking.
    Time to order a red tortoise!!!

//Henrik

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have the CAR 75RI bass (check profile pic) and I put a tort guard under the strings to see what it looked like, I took it off right away as I did not like it.

3. I wish that all fender basses had the bullet truss rod thing.

Or least an access route to the truss at the heel of the neck.

Figures though, fender"This is a great idea, yeah for our next model lets go back to the crap truss rod, we'll make a fortune!"

4. Man oh man I love Candy Apple Red J's. My next bass will probably be a CAR MIM Deluxe Active J. I love those CAR 75's, but I wish the fretboard was maple, because I think it looks too dark with the rosewood, tort, CAR, and matching headstock.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That is the exact reason I did not put the tort guard on. As far as a maple neck CAR 75RI jazz is concerned that would be gorgous as hell, the only problem is that the CAR bass is meant to reflect the 60's when maple neck were not available(CAR available to approx 72-73) but with a 75 jazz bass pup spacing and sound. I don't think Fender ever made a bass at that time with a matching headstock and a maple neck. If you want that go for a Lakland Daryl Jones model, They can be had in that combination.

6. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Hmm! That´s interesting Pyrohr.
    It´s not a very good picture. And the tort guard look´s very reddish. So the best thing is to find something that looks simular and test. Just like you did.

Freshmeat:
    I have a MIJ 75 with maple neck. And it´s really hard because i like the snappier sound from the maple neck more than the rosewood. But otherwise the FSR´s are just gorgeous. Stunning fit and finnish. And the bullet truss rod makes ajusting the neck a walk in the park.

Hmm shall se if i can post a picture of my family.....

Nope! Doesn´t. work Have to figure out how.
    Will get back (hmm sounding like Homer Simpson)

7. As far as I've seen, all American and American Deluxe basses has truss access at the heel of the neck, and a little access hole in the pickguard to get to it.

Red with a tort pickguard is nice in some cases, but I think you could do better. In my opinion a nice white pearloid would look amazing. I think that the tort would make it too dark, especially with the rosewood board.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All MIA basses do adjust at the bottom of the neck with the execption of the hwy 1 series. The 75RI basses have the bullit truss rod and a three bolt "micro tilt" neck thus the adjustment at the headstock. Now as far as the white pearloid pickguard I think the vintage white and not that bright white would look killer! I came across one of those pickguards and almost pulled the trigger. It was only the fact that I did not want to mod this bass that stopped me!

9. If/when I get a job soon, I might get that CAR MIM Deluxe Jazz and put a Warmoth maple black blocks/binding on. Tasty!

10. Its nice, but man the matching headstock is just the icing on the cake!

11. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Totally agree. Went totally nuts when i saw the CAR for the first time. Just had to have one. Then a couple of month later i took the plunge and bought one from Music 123. Then when the second wave with the OLY and LPB i was :bawl:
    I was going to collect these!!!! Put them in the closet and wait 20 years :ninja:

But then came trouble.
    My girlfriend could not see the beaty of owning/playing many nice basses. So when the LPB was down to 999$ at guitartrader (Priced over here i Sweden @ 3100$ It´s insane but true) I had to have it.
    Since we are looking for a house, budget is thight and you can´t blame her for thinking i was stupid. So of went my beloved Fretless Dlx jazz and my ABG.
    Bought the LPB. Slightly thinner neck than the CAR but thicker than my MIJ 75. And at this time my only real keeper. Totally loves it!

Since then i have been thinking of actually selling the CAR AND the MIJ.
    My GAS for the Roscoe Beck V and the AV 57 P is eating on me.
    And if the MM Stingray had a laquered neck...Oh my!

So maybe the real issue with tourting the CAR is to convince myself to keep it and forget about having a nice balanced set of basses instead of 3 jazzes :rolleyes:

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Ok, I guess I'm going to look lame now, but what does FSR stand for?

I was guessing the R was reissue. But then I got stuck.

But I've been up all night and am probably stupid right now. I think I will go to bed.

Later.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    FSR stands for "factory special run".
    This is when Fender makes only a few hundred for any givien reason. The CAR bass is an FSR bass, The natural finish MIM bass made for Guitar Center is an FSR bass.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw one of those natural MIM Jazzes at GC. That would be a winner if it didn't have the huge rout around the neck p'up.

15. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    white pearloid goard and chrome knobs.

I couldn't get into the brown tort. guard that was on it.
    had it been red, which I didn't think about when ordering the White, I might have left it on there.

I needed knobs anyway, so I went with chrome.