Car Mechanics: Help please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a '94 Ford Ranger, 4 cylinder, no 4 wheel drive, 5 speed manual transmission, blah blah blah.

Ford. Don't laugh. I wouldn't buy a Ford car, but this pickup has done very very well for me. I'm the only owner. It currently sits at 93,500 miles, but it's in such great shape that you wouldn't know it.

I've treated my truck good, (annual tuneups, 3 month oil changes, always check fluid levels, tire tread, replaced timing belt at 60K, 1 year old battery, etc.), and it's always treated me well.

4 months ago it started stuttering. Usually in 3rd and 4th gear. The car would just - skip. Sutter like a teenager in a cheap motel room on prom night. My father said clutch. I didn't think so. I took it to a transmission place, and the guy drove it and said, "Tranny's fine, clutch is too. Take it to a mechanic." I took it to a mechanic, and after looking at it for 2 hours, he said my spark plug wires, (which were the originals, car had about 90K at that time), we old and ready to go. He replaced my spark plug wires, (the car incidentally has 8 spark plugs), and sent me on my merry way for $120 for everything. The car drove fine. Two or three weeks ago it starts stuttering again. Not as much, not as often, but it does it.

What's the deal?
  2. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    My first thought was the distributor or ignition module (which I had go out on me before), so I did a Google search on Ford Ranger Ignition Module. Check this out. It doesn't apply to your model year, but it might be worth looking into:

Doesn't look like they have a good track record.
  3. Could be a couple things:

It may be something as simple as the air-conditioning compressor cycling on and off (lugging the engine) or you may have a partially plugged catalytic converter.

Check your fuel pump pressure and your oxygen sensor as well. Installing a temporary remote fuel pressure gauge, driving the car and observing the gauge when the problem occurs can verify if it is your fuel pump.

4. My used to do that before the tapping started and well... you ALL know about that other thread... can i borrow $1000? :p

Anywho, i serviced with a mate, we changed Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, increased the idling time and overall timing. Mines an automatic tho, and the transmission clunked a bit, found out that i had no transmission fluid.. but who cares right? i need a whole new engine anyway. :rolleyes:

5. :eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!!!

Guess you'll be using your chevroLEGS for a while, huh? :( ;)

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Look for any disconnected or broken vacuum hoses.
    Also, do you get gas at the same place all the time? Its possible youve got water in the fuel. Try adding some drygas or a similar additive that removes water from the fuel. Change the fuel filter too if its been awhile.
  7. Did they replace the spark plugs when you got the new plug wires? Are the plugs gapped and working properly? Although they were just replaced, you may still have gotten a bad wire.

I have a Jeep, but the thing had Tourette's Syndrome a while back. New plugs and wires fixed the problem.

Since it happens only in 3rd and 4th, I would suspect an electrical problem - most people drive at different rpms in those gears, as opposed to 1st and second, where the engine is worked a little harder, which drives the electrical system. Start at the battery and work down the system from there.
  8. Check your fuel filters! yes some rangers have 2 !!
  9. Yes i am forced to do the Fred Flintstone mission for a while. :p

10. Maybe you can hitch a ride in the belly pouch of a kangaroo, Merls!
    I'd pay money to see that!
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Throwing some fuel injector cleaner can't hurt any, even if that's not the problem. They fuel injectors could be slightly clogged, or the fuel filter as well. I had to replace a few fuel injectors in my car.
  12. *chases after you with a large trout* idiot! :p

13. blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    ok first off im not a mechanic however my dad is and ive been working on cars since i was 7 years old . .... first off check the timing , try new distributer cap & roter, also try the fuel filter , however if it is the fuel filter youll probrobly have to rteplace the fuel pump ( mine went out in the shop parking lot after expiranced the same problem). check for vacume leaks( hoses) also very doubtful but mabe bad gas? .
    Good luck it really sucks to be with out wheels