1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car 'modifiying' - What y'all got ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheButler, Jul 19, 2007.

1. It seems that this topic would interest a few members of TB so thought i'd give it a go.

I am into (in a reasonably big way) car modding. No i'm not talking about fiberglass, chrome and paint. I talking about proper stuff.

So anyway, my brother and I are going to hopefully be 'dropping' a Mustang's 4.6 Litre V8 into an old volvo 240 ( the GLT model of course ;) :p ). For some unknown reason my family only have volvos, yes VERY boring but it is just one of these things :help:

I guess a few other people will have interesting rides on here; so show me what y'all got :D ?

2. I knew a guy in NY that did one HELL of a job on a Volvo wagon. Not only did he install chevy drivetrain he also did some serious body work. He used doors from a 2 door model and filled the rear doors on the wagon. That required moving the door post back for the longer 2 door doors and having new window glass made. When it was done, it was a truly perfect looking 2 door Volvo wagon that would get up and MOVE!!!

3. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I've mentioned before that I had an Impreza, all suspension mods since it wasn't going to go much faster... Nowadays I just help with my mates ones.

Biggest one is an aRSe Liberty that is slowly being restored from a previous owners negligence... nothing quite as interesting as an engine swap although he keeps mentioning the V3 STi engine.

4. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    well... my dad and i put a early 70's 351 street boss (clevor) in an 85 mustang... and im working on a '66 F-100 that we put a 84 302 in... but its nothing compared to this:

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

That guy did it PERFECTLY

(jet beetle)

5. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Awesome.

6. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I have a awd turbo celica I am tweaking a bit with a fresh motor and upgraded turbo and intercooler, fun car. Before that
    I had a supercharged mr2 and a pretty long list of diverse toys,
    (short attention span) :D

7. Oooh this sounds really nice :D

Mind you i think the best i've seen is this 67' Amazon.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1967-Volvo-Amazon-600-hp.htm

600 BHP can't be a bad thing :)

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My first mod was an '80 Mustang with a blown 4 cylinder motor that I swapped a 320 HP 289 into. It had a Holley 750 carb, Edelbrock dual plane intake, Comp Cams 268H, Hooker headers, a C-6 with a shift kit and Center Line wheels. I did that project the summer after I graduated high school.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
  10. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Modify?

I won't even put a bumper sticker on my car. :p

11. A friend of mine had an old style green VW Beetle with lowered suspensions and a porsche V8 engine in it.

That car wasnt safe!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I just do simple mods to my rides....tinting tail lights, color matching parts, putting LED's around the interior, simple stuff like that.

I can build you a secure data network to accommodate thousands of users around the world, but I just can not wrap my mind around taking apart and repairing automobile engines.

-Mike

13. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Volvo boring? Yes they are but that's what's so awesome they are perfect sleepers that's why I might consider one as my first car. It would be great to pull up to a red light with a little poser rice burner revving his little engine, then you rev back and he laughs at you because he thinks that volvo doesn't mean business but then when the light turns green you peel out and leave him as a dot in your rear view mirror:D.

14. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Well my 240Z, I replaced the engine with an L28, kept the dual SU carbs, shaved the head to go to 10.5 compression, big cam, port and polish, headers, 2 1/5" exhaust, strut tower brace, roll bar, and MSD ignition. Maybe a few other things.

Runs in the 14's :)

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  16. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    ^

That's awesome!

17. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Tell me it's at least the 99+ 4.6L? If not, don't waste your time, it'll probably be slower than it was before with the 96-98 4.6L. I'd probably choose a 5.0L over anything due to cheapness of parts, and the used market is HUGE.

Of course I can't talk much, I've got a "not your average" 3.8L V6 stang. Happens to run the 1/4 mile around 13.8 seconds @ 100mph all motor. It probably had a 13.5 in it at one point, but I've since uninstalled most of the go-fast parts for fear of breaking ****. :D I've damaged quite a few egos of unsuspecting GT owners.

18. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Here's something that was (AFAIK), utterly unique! :eek:

It was once a Reliant Regal van, but a friend of mine chopped the roof off it, cut it down and stuck it to the front half of the cabin to create .... A PICKUP TRUCK !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :rollno:

Sadly, as it only had three wheels, I manged to roll it on it's first major test drive (200ft from my front door :scowl: ). Then,l I had to give it away for scrap :( .

Still, it saved me the embarassment of driving it :D .

Icidentally, I was only 18 at the time and had no car driver's license, but these three-wheelers could be driven on a provisional motorcycle license, otherwise ... I would never have chosen one :rolleyes: .

Anyway, please feel free to LYA'sO ....

ThePlasticPig.

Post-accident :meh: :
    TheremainsofAndysPlasticPig.

Never did get round to finishing off the (brushed :smug: ) black paintwork around the rear screen :rollno: .

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA