1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car question: It pulls right even after alignment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I just went out and spent 80 bucks on an alignment because i was constantly overcompensating for the pull of my steering wheel. Now after an alignment, my car still pulls to the right, just as much as it did before. Whats the deal? Did the mechanics botch the alignment, or could it be something else?

2. That happened to my old Rabbit after a friend slammed into a curb with it. The arm frame that held the tire was bent- nothing short of replacing that would've fixed it.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    make them recheck it, but also see about tire rotation and balancing...

Stumbo, Tbone76 and Brad Johnson like this.
  4. I was going to say maybe the tire itself is out of balance.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    What kind of car?

Do you have a printout showing what the alignment measurements are? If you do, post the printout here for me to see.

Did they try crossing the front tires? Many times the tires themselves cause a pulling condition. If you flop the fronts side-to-side and it pulls the opposite way, you found the problem.

Balancing has nothing to do with a pull.

6. +1 on checking the tires.

My brother's car would pull to the right pretty bad, and it turned out to be a bad tire (was over-inflated, I believe).

7. Check tire pressures, make sure you've got no bent arms or rims too.

-Ryan.

8. At least your is pulling consistently. Mine usually pulls to the right enough that I need to merely steer less left when a road makes a gentle turn to the right, and then every few days or so it'll decide that it wants to pull slightly to the left instead. Usually it makes up its mind early on in the trip.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That sounds like a suspension problem. My saturn did that, and the struts were bad.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Its a 94 GMC sierra pickup truck. When i got it aligned the tire pressure was wrong, and i adjusted the tire pressure correctly and it made the problem worse. I am going to take it back tomorow and have them take another look at it, because when i let go of the wheel, my car instantly wants to make a 90 degree turn right. And i have hit my fare share of curbs so its a possibility of a bent rim, but they didnt mention that, just a leaky water pump.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    If it pulls right, it's probably a Republican. Drifts left, Democrat.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    This is simple. If it pulls after allignment, it's not alligned.

Take it back and have it rechecked. Something got missed.

If there is a problem with the suspension like a bent tie rod thats throwing the geometry off to the point where it can't be aligned then that should be obvious.

If you have a vehicle by chance that has 4 wheel independant suspension, that requires a 4 wheel alignment and that's a little unusual.

INTP likes this.
  13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Not true. A car can be perfectly aligned and have the tires cause the pull.

14. Take the fat person out of the passenger seat. That should stop the pull.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    True story- About 15 years ago I had a guy come in for an alignment with an 87 Eldorado. His complaint was poor tire wear. He had been to other shops and all had told him the alignment was ok, and they couldn't understand why his tires wore the way they did.

The guy had to weigh 400 pounds.

When we got the car on the rack and set it up, the alignment was perfect...........without him in the car. When we put him in it, the alignment went south. We wound up aligning the car with him in it.

The moral of the story is ride height affects alignment.

farace, Oddly, BboogieXVII and 2 others like this.
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I was about to post the same thing.

17. Dang, and here I thought I was trying to be funny, and I turn out to be right!! Man, this is going to be a weird day.

Rock on
    Eric

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If it's the tires, that should be obviouse in the treadwear pattern

Anythings possible including the fact that the roads he typically drives on are crowned a little higher than normal.

Of the possible scenario's, mechanic screw up is WAY out in front and certainly where to start before you go out and by 4 new tires.

19. Suppose I just got new tires and have taken it back 3 times...each time the alignment switching sides. Based on the info here, it's the tires. Now, is this a defect of the tires, or the way my car "wears" them that causes this? Whats standard operating procedure for the shop in a case like this? I've put close to 1000 miles on these tires in the time since I got them (about 3 weeks). I'd have liked to take it back the next day every time, but my job dictates that I use my vehicle and I simply can't afford to do it any other time than on the weekends.

Mike

20. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Not true. New tires can pull. It has to do with how the plies are laid in a radial tire, and not how the tire has worn.

I'll go along with that, but will add that many vehicles (especially trucks) will have the alignment specs set up to compensate for road crown. Typically this means setting drivers side caster anywhere from .5 to 1 degree lower than the passenger side.

Lets not put the cart before the horse just yet. The tech may not have screwed up, he may just have a pulling tire, which doesn't mean he needs 4 new ones.

kartiste likes this.