Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    So, my friend mary's friend's mom ran into her car.

The guy at the shop told mary $1500.

There is a big ass dent, the alignment is messed a bit, and the door is broken. And not even the whole door... it jsut wont open, but the window and locks work.

$1500 for an alignment, pounding a dent with a hammer, and fixing a door is a just a bit much, isnt it?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Take the tire off, then the wheel well cover. Go to work with a rubber mallet. Voila. No more dent. As for the door, it looks like the quarter panel's edge is sticking up over the door, a simple screwdriver and/or the rubber mallet should fix it. Take the car in for the alignment. Midas (just called 'em) does alignments for Cavaliers at about 89 bucks, and go to the website for a certificate to get 10$ off any service 50$ or more. Hope this helps....

Note: If you want it done professionally, then go ahead and spend 1500 bucks. You don't have to though....I find that cars don't really care how they look, as long as they run good. ;)

4. Fixing this properly does mean a little more than bashing the dent out with a hammer.

A new door panel: $250 and a new quarter panel: $100. Painting: $500. Labor--remove and replace: $500 (10 hrs at $50 /hr) Gee, that's $1350 dollars. Then add an alignment. If this was hit hard to enough to affect alignment, an $89 alignment won't be enough.

Sure, they can use cheap paint--that won't quite match the rest of the car, or that might flake off in a year or so...Or forget the alignment, who cares if the tires wear out prematurely because the car is "crabbing" down the road sideways.

And what about any possible resale or trade value of the car? Yep, I'd really be interested in a car with a fender and door that had been pounded out with a hammer. :eek:

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Maybe not you, but some other guy might be interested....did you miss my side note? :eyebrow: I'm just offering a suggestion here... :)

All that work would take you 10 hours?