Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    When my dad and I were heading to pick up my amp somewhere, something strange occured. The left rear wheel blocked. It didn't move at all. When my dad tried tried to drive, the wheel just slipped along. After some tweaking with the handbreak, the wheel deblocked. Obviously there was something wrong with the handbreak.

My questions are; what caused this? Mind you, the car is 12 year old.

Is it dangerous when driving? Can the same thing happen at 70mph?

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

In rear wheel drive cars the rear wheel seal could and did occasionally leak. The leaking gear lube would cause the rear brake shoes to swell and often times caused the rear wheel to "lock up"

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Were you using the park break earlier? What kind of vehicle, with what kind of rear brakes?

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's an Opel (Vauxhall?) Astra 1.7, I have no clue about the breaks.
    Oh, and it's a forewheel drive car (you know, the engine drives the front wheels, and not the back.)

5. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Right. I unfortunately have no experience with Opels, but what I need to know is if it is disc or drum rear brakes. If it is disc, IMO, i see more stuck caliper pins than anything else. Fiddling with the parking brake (which is, on discs, esentially forcing the brakes open/shut) may have freed it up. If it's drums, there are a few more things it could be. If you had used the parking brake, got back in, took the brake off, and it stuck, I'd suggest looking at the parking brake cable, which is a thin metal cable that runs to the drum. Trace it back from the wheel, and see if there's anywhere it's getting hung up, etc. Other than that, there's no more advice I could give you other than "have a mechanic look at it" because (and this is by no means an insult) if you don't know what kind of brakes you have, you probably don't have a very good chance of figuring out what it is on your own. Chances are, though, it's not a terribly expensive ordeal. Either of the situations I described above just generally need some grease on the right part, etc.

Wait for Mike N. to come along, though, he'll know more about it (by far!) than I will.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Dan, I think you answered the question fairly well and there isn't much more for me to add.

Vorago, I'll take a guess a cable for the handbrake is sticking. I would want to have it checked out though, to make sure no hardware in the brake assembly broke, which may cause further troubles.

Good luck.

7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah. I figured I'd defer to you though, as I generally deal with trends in failures in my companies brakes in North American vehichles, and as such, only deal with short term (within the first 2-3 years) failures. I didn't know if there were any more common problems that appear later in life in vehicles.