CAR Refinishing questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by primussucks9126, Oct 24, 2011.

1. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Hey guys, I recently got a Blacktop Jazz bass body in black, and I'm in the process of compiling all the parts I need to finish it.

I want to refinish the body in Candy Apple Red with a white competition stripe and matching headstock.

My main question is what is the order of things to be sprayed for this type of project? I've read that CAR is supposed to be sprayed over a silver or gold metallic base, so the way I see it, it should go:
    1.Primer-> 2.White-> Silver/Gold-> CAR-> Clear.

I tried searching a few places, but didn't find anything that completely answered my questions, thanks guys!

2. clsatt

clsatt

Oct 6, 2009
  3. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    This might help a little bit.
    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum :: View topic - Anyone done a competition stripe?

I would go with the complete CAR coloring procedure, then shoot 2 clear coats and let dry. Then tape the stripe, mask off the CAR, mist 2 coats of clear over the tape area to lock it in, paint color, pull tape after dry to touch, then finish the clear coats. Much like metallics/flakes, I would spray 10-12 coats of clear, with a couple extra coats over the stripe area. This would give some cushion for leveling, wet sanding and polishing. JMHO & E, YMMV

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021