Car Shopping...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 'JC', Jun 28, 2005.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Further proof GAS is not limited to basses.

I'm in the market for a new daily driver.
    Despite the fact I refuse to think of how I would transport my rig (115 & 210) I keep GASsing for another coupe. And even then I can't think of anything that meets my requirements though:

PRICE: Under 30K (new or used)
    BODY: 2 door Midsize coupe
    SPACE: Enough for at least 1 bass and my 210.
    DRIVETRAIN: RWD with Manual tranny.
    PERFORMANCE: 0-60 in under 6 sec and nimble enough to toss in corners or maybe the occasional impromptu auto-x.
    INTERIOR: Cannot be GM/Ford grade.
    MPG: Looking for 20/25, but understand will have to sacrifice some to a degree for performance.

The 850 CSi is my perfect 2+2, but, well you know... :( The G35 seems to be perfect by all means (I can also get the employee price) including day to day costs and maintenance, but its too compact for some of the things I need to carry around.

I'm also curious if anyone has had to compromise on their vehicle of choice due to being a bassist?
  2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I drive an Acura MDX. It's a real mom-mobile but it also works extremely well as a safe, reliable transport for my bass gear. It's also a very comfortable ride and not so huge as to be a major gas hog or a p.i.t.a. to manuever. I work at an Acura dealer so that make the cost of maintenance fairly low too. I would drive a sport coupe if I didn't have to have a vehicle that could handle hauling my gear.
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What about rx8? rotery baby:)

I like g35 and i like bmws... i used to love 850 until i grew up and found out i cant fit in it:)

What about sedan? say... 540i or m5:)

Car i was going to buy before i went with jeep was 88 535i and work it to be under 4sec car:) big diffrents vs my 30sec jeep:)
  4. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    As much as I could use and benefit from an SUV, I can't bring myself to cross to the dark side. ;)
    And in order to be happy, I have to have a fun car.

RX8 - I had a chance to track one at a Mazda driving event but missed it, so no hands on experience. I keep reading about problems in AutoWeek and C&D though - specifically it sucking down oil like Star Jones sucking down BBQ sauce at a sizzler.

Sedans - I'm in a Lincoln LS V8 momentarly right now and dig it along with select sport sedans. I've looked at prices on used E55s and even M5s since they're finally taking a nice hit depreciation wise... Wish I could say the same for insurance rates on those... :meh:
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

RX8 only reason it worries me is mazdas ties with ford.

I am pretty sure 540i isurance will be same as any 2 door... price it out... call your insurace and price it out...

SUV's are a great thing if you go offroad have a lot of thingies to carry and/or tow things ... other then that eh... i do both thats why i have it... if i didnt do any of them i'd have bmw and get more then 10mpg:)
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like a Nissan 350Z.

brad cook
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Forgot another problem with bmw... cost of fixing... i say go with g35:)