1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car Show Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RCH, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RCH

RCH Gold Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    We put together a band just for this gig at an RV campground in Monson, Ma. JP and the Ragtops did two sets with Stroll and Twist contests between sets. I didn't take any photos of the drive or the food. That's my wife of 47 years in the striped skirt next to me. This was her first time on stage singing backup and she had a blast. It was fun doing this together but it was a lot of work for one gig. I've never tried to post pictures before, so I hope this works OK. The theme was from Back To The Future, so we had to do Earth Angel and Johnny B Goode. We ended the night with Mustang Sally and the crowd went wild. Ragtop_4. Ragtops_5.

nixdad, hermetic, hondo4life and 12 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Guitar, guitar, sax, drums, singer, bass, singer.

Interesting stage arrangement.

nixdad and kittywithabanjo like this.
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Looks like a fun gig. I've done a few of those one-off deals. As you say, lot's of work, but musicians love to play. :)

McG likes this.
  4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Very cool gig, love the theme! Is that your bass amp in front of the stage?

Mark

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Well, yes, this is pretty cool. I wish Mrs. BassCliff would get up on stage with me. But she never likes drawing attention to herself.

Looks like the stage wasn't too deep but you made it work. Will this band do more gigs? Or is this a one-time pickup band?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, mwbonsall and Stumbo like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice band ... would love a video. Good to see the bass player front and center for a change. ;)

nixdad and mwbonsall like this.
  7. RCH

RCH Gold Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    This was a one off gig. Lead guitar, sax and I just recruited a good drummer and are reforming a new band. I'm only up front because there wasn't room next to the drums and I sang half the songs. Plus I like being between the women. That is my amp on the floor in front of the stage next to the built in sub-woofer. I've got bass in my IEM mix. I'm playing a Gibson anniversary SG bass with TI flats and Carol Kaye signature picks. The amp is a Fender Rumble 500 head (turned toward the stage) on a Fender 1x12 sitting on a Fender 1x15. It was there for the dancers near the stage since I was also FOH. Did I mention that I got as far as possible away from the guitar amps?

nixdad and mwbonsall like this.
  8. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Who is this man so wise in the way of true happiness?

BassCliff and hondo4life like this.
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Very cool gig. I'm a BTTF fan so love the theme. I've done the one-off band thing too. The fun is worth the work.

That's one super cool bass set up!

With you on staying away from the guitar amps. Our usual stage set up is both guitar amps on the drummer's right and my bass amp and me on the Drummer's left.

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  10. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Bass player sets up on the opposite end of the stage from the guitar amps, which places him between the two women.

Who said bass players were unintelligent?

11. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    None of us...

Mark

McG likes this.