Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

car speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Apr 27, 2002.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    this may sound like a stupid question but i dont think its ever been brought up. What would happen if i loaded a few bass guitar 12's or 10's into a car audio cab and wired it so i could use it with my amp head. I wonder cuz they are much cheaper (which may be why they dont work). Would this work or are they just too umcomplicated to make good guitar cabs. Suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    a box is a box. the question is wether or not it is properly sized and tuned for the driver(s) that you put in it. without the correct size and tuning, you wont get a good frequency response out of the driver(s).

it is true that boxes might be made of different materials, but i am assuming that these car boxes are the same standard 3/4" void free plywood as most bass cabs.

if youre looking for an inexpensive cab, id suggest you check out avatar. ask talkbass used quadzilla about them, he loves em. they look well built to me, and they use top quality (eminence) drivers. affordable too.