Car speakers again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ok heres my last(hopefully) post about trying to save money and getting good sound. I was thinking about buying a set of 10" car speaker woofers...these will be made by a reputable car audio company and I'll make sure they can handle(RMS) a pretty large sum of watts. Now someone saying that sealed boxes aren't as efficient as vented boxes(did he mean ported?) If this is so, can I make my own box(My dad does wonders with woodwork...he makes furniture for a hobby)that is ported and the speakers will work just as efficiently as say Edens and sound just as good? Also where can I buy tweed and how exaclty do they get that stuff to fit around the box...I'm probably going to measure the dimensions of D-210xlts and build it like that...hell I'll even buy the grill, crossover, and horn from them? Will it work? If this works out cheaply(which it will cuz I get factory discounts on car speakers, and my dad will probably buy the wood cuz he likes doing crap like this too much) After that I'll probably attempt to find a decently cheap Aguilar preamp(used) and a Carvin DCM600...Oh yeah one last question, what exactly does a horn do? Does that control the highs, is a tweeter placed inside some how?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's just not going to work! I think it was explained here quite recently that car speakers aren't meant to give you the sort of volume necessary for playing bass in a band. They will sound loud in a car , but just won't project the sort of volume you need in a hall or a club.
  3. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I was the one that asked....the thing is, peopel didn't say the speaker couldn't obtain the volume....they said that sealed boxes were made for compact size, but decreased I'm asking if I make my own "vented"(hopefully that means ported) box will it project just as efficiently as bass speakers...if that works then I just have to worrya bout the frequency response of the woofers...most car speakers of that size were made for mids...
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I know that people like Joris have made their own speaker cabs - but I think you need to know a lot about the theory behind this - it's not just a box!

I think there is a basic difference between a car, where you are actually "feeling " most of the bass through the car structure and a bass cab which is "pushing" the sound through the air. It takes a lot of power to project the large wave forms needed for bass and I just think that car systems are not going to be built with this purpose in mind.
  5. A subwoofer is a subwoofer. If you put it into a car, it's a car subwoofer. In a home theatre system, it's a home sub. In an electric bass cabinet, it's an instrument sub.

The primary differences between subwoofer drivers and those drivers used for electric bass are low frequency extension and loudness. Electric bass drivers are *much* louder and subs go down *much* lower. This is the fundamental tradeoff.

Car subs are nowhere near as loud as Eden drivers.

The reason you "feel" the bass as mentioned above is, electric bass drivers don't have any low frequency capability to feel. The choice of program material makes a difference also, as car tunes usually have synths or other very low frequency generating instruments.

Sealed boxes don't have reduced projection compared to vented boxes, but they do have reduced power handling and efficiency. In exchange, sealed boxes have tighter sounding bass than poorly designed vented boxes.
  6. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I don't realy see how you will be saveing money with car speakers instead. If you are realy going to do this, why not just buy real speakers. It WILL work and you will still save money. I know peavy black widows are usualy a pretty good choice. Carvin sells some speakers, but I don't know the quality. I am sure there are many many more.

However you should do a search(google and talkbass) on diy speaker cabnets. Its not that hard once you get a grasp of what you are trying to do. If your speaker cabnets are not built right your sound will be terrible.