1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car Speakers In A Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainTempo, Jul 5, 2017.

1. CaptainTempo

CaptainTempo

Jul 5, 2017
    I have these 6x9 jvc coaxial car speakers that are collecting dust and I was wondering if it would be feasible to put them in a small cab so that I have something that's a managable size to take to small jam sessions (lugging a big 4x10 to a 3 person jam sesh. is a bit excessive...). I'm really not concerned with tone, or even really volume... or the well being of the speakers for that matter. just need a knock around little amp. They're 3-way speakers so I'm just wondering if there's anything special I need to do to wire them up, or is it just not a viable option to use these kinds of speakers?

2. They are garbage for bass.

3. CaptainTempo

CaptainTempo

Jul 5, 2017
    Well, like I said, I'm not really concerned about tone. i just need something that will make some sound that I can take to small jam sessions (i.e. acoustic guitars etc.).

4. automobile audio systems are designed to re-produce pre-recorded music with lots of production & compression

your bass amp doesn't have that & will give it the full monty w/o compression & destroy it

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    They will produce sound, and live a short unhappy life. Depending how they die they could take the amp with them. All in all I suggest passing on this project.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Since you have a 410, I assume you have a head. Pick up a smaller, piece-of-crap cab and be on your merry small jam way.

wisconsindead likes this.
  7. Those speakers are not worth the time and money it would take to scrap them. They wont suit you for bass in any fashion.

Aqualung60 and Lvjoebass like this.
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Welcome to TalkBass!

What's been said: Not a solid plan there.

Ellery likes this.
  9. You should have hooked them up and played them last night.
    Might have saved some money on fireworks. :woot:

Aqualung60, Ellery, Bassquest and 4 others like this.
  10. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was going to say that if you want to build a cab with your car speakers just for the experience and for the satisfaction of using what you have -- and are okay with it maybe not working so hot for bass -- to go ahead and do so, but this...
    ...has me questioning that, and the consensus seems to be that the results with car speakers would be underwhelming in any case.

Can you sell the car speakers for even a little bit of cash? You could put that toward an Eminence Deltalite II or Basslite 110. One of those in a simple box of the proper volume and tuning would make a more useful and more durable bass cab than the car speakers. You can check out this thread: Low-cost DIY practice/coffeehouse tweeterless 110 [long]. I have one (with the beefier Deltalite II) and it is a surprisingly capable and decent sounding little cab. Since you'll have to build a box and wire up the speakers in any case, the difference in cost should be small (especially if you can sell the speakers you have and find a used example of either Eminence in good shape).

If your small jam is acoustic guitars in a living room, the cab will be more than you need, but you might find it handy for other, smaller things you don't want to drag your 410 to. I've played mine with acoustic drums and electric guitar in a basement practice space and it kept up fine -- I think it would be plenty at a couple of smaller pub jams I've been to, too. At others, or in bigger rooms, I'd want (sometimes much) more cab.

Otherwise, there are any of a number of cheap, compact 1x10 or 1x12 cabs you can pick up used which might suit your purpose.

Just my thoughts. Welcome to Talkbass.

11. CaptainTempo

CaptainTempo

Jul 5, 2017
    Thanks MarkA.

The link is helpful and I'll keep that in mind for down the road. However, I don't think I'm at a point where I'm going to spend $80 on a cab I'll seldom use. This project isnt't so much out of necessity as it is the fact that the stuff is there. They're cheap speakers and it was either this or bin 'em. I've done as much research as I can on the subject and, as far as I can tell, there's little risk of damaging an amp. And as long as the volume stays under control, there shouldnt me any issues (other than them being poor speakers).

The reason I posted was because I was unsure whether wiring 3-way speakers was any different to regular ones.

cheers

12. by all means, throw caution to the wind, destroy the speakers & possibly your amp as well
    Godspeed!

Smelly, Aqualung60 and Nev375 like this.
  13. jon mccumber

jon mccumber

Apr 16, 2016
    Just be careful to check how many ohms the speakers are. A lot of car speakers are 2 & 4 ohms each, which can be too much of a load for your amp.
    I use a factory sub I pulled out of a Honda pilot at the church I play at. It's an 8" with a sealed plastic box that sounds pretty good. I use it to give me about the same volume as the acoustic guitars. It can go much louder. It's a 2ohm speaker which my amp can handle.

14. CaptainTempo

CaptainTempo

Jul 5, 2017
    I have an 8 ohm amp and two 4 ohm speakers. If I'm not mistaken, wiring them up in series should do up just fine.
    Glad to hear someone's done this with decent results.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    So you want to connect some junk to some other junk so you can create a big piece of junk?

Sounds like a plan to me! ..Assuming you don't have anything productive to do like practice.

16. jon mccumber

jon mccumber

Apr 16, 2016
    You need to check what your amp is rated for.pushing too low of a load could kill it. Two 4 ohm speakers equal a 2 ohm load. Not all amps can handle 2 ohms.
    What amp do you have.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!

A friend of mine made a bass amp using four tiny speakers and four Pringles cans. At low volumes it actually sounded pretty freaking good.

Yes, wire in series.

Experiment with various sizes of cardboard boxes. You may even find cubic footage numbers for the speakers online. Basically, for good bass response, speakers need to be in a "tuned" cab. In i ther words, the dimensions aren't random. They need a certain cubic footage....along with the right size and kinds of ports....if any....to "sound right".

So you may have to experiment a little.

Also, keep your volume WAY low to start and increase slowly.

If you have some cardboard laying around, or even some thick craft paper, experiment with creating a "tube" for each speaker. The tone probably won't be incredible but you may squeeze a little more bass response out if them.

My buddy literally mounted his Pringles cans in a cardboard box and jammed on it at home all the time. Looked like crap but sounded quite good actually. Once he put a ton if stickers on the box you couldn't even tell it was cardboard.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Downunderwonder and Lvjoebass like this.
  18. Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    BassmanPaul likes this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    A bass amp will ruin car speakers ...

Aqualung60 and Lvjoebass like this.
  20. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass

Jan 19, 2017
    At least check out truck boxes that are tuned and ported..take a tape measure into pep boys! Aband I was in back in70s snuck into a church and made copies of p.a. cabs! Used em for years!