Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Speakers in a cab...take 2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Ok here is the deal. I have some aged subs that were in my car several years ago. They are 12's and are fairly efficient (93db or so). I've posted a similar question before but didn't get too much info so I'll try again. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to make a cab for them and give it a shot? They are both 8 ohm subs so if I was to parallel them I'd get a 4 ohm load. I think they would pound nice and low in the proper ported box but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this before.

2. 93db is a horrible efficency rating.

I personally won't do it.

What's the harm of trying it out?

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    They will likely sound like ass, as car subs are designed to be just that; subs. They are not designed to be run full-range, which is what you will want to do with them as bass guitar enclosure speakers.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I posted this awhile ago as an idea, and somebody had actually done it....except he had a single 15 that could take about 2000 watts peak and only used it to get super lows instead of just using it by itself.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Maybe if you could Bi-amp them to take only the lows, that'd be the only way I'd try it. I was gonna try that awhile ago, but then I figured when it didn't work I'd put them in may car (which btw, I think is VERY friggin annoying, you drive down the road and all you hear is boom boom boom, repeated over and over again, I only ever heard one time when someone played good ol 80's early 90'd METAL [real stuff to, not the BS considered metal now-a-days] and I was like...wow) OK rant done :)

6. Car audio subs can work fairly well if you dont ask them to go above about 100-125 htz.

They really are Subs. And die painfully above their target frequencies.

TBS they could sound awesome with a pair of 10's on top of them