Car Speakers? on

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Jan 18, 2001.

1. My sister (arg..25 yr old lawyers) got a new car and she's getting a new speaker system put in. The old speaker has been sitting in our garage waiting for trash day. Is there possibly anything cool I can do with these? I thought about taking it apart and screwing around with things then I knew i would ruin any potential it has.
    It's about 80 lbs, with two 15" speakers, enclosed in a big cab. There aren't any input jacks, but there's about 10 "clip things" labeled 'input' 'output' 'preamp' etc. By clip things, i mean you can't plug anything in it, there's these things that hold wires in place.
    This cab is less than 1 yr old so i didn't want to lose a potential extension cab. So can i do anything near-cool with this?
  2. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Maybe you could try taking off the control panel and wiring it into a standard 1/4" (or banana speakon what have you)control panel, and then use it in your rig. It most likely will end up being a 4ohm cab, as most 215 configurations are. It may not voice your bass clearly, but it should work great as a subwoofer.
  3. maybe you can cut holes in them and you can sing the lead parts to radioactive by "the firm" in your band
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    S.S., Don't throw it away.

Unless you have a super good stereo system in your practice room it probably is a better sounding system than you are using.

Maybe it could be used as a stage monitor.

The thing should have a brand name on it somewhere. Research it on the pooter to see what you have. Sounds like it may have a built in amp.

According to your profile, you have a butt load of cords and cables so you can do lots of experimenting w/o having to buy anything.:) See,people do read those profiles.

When I was 16,I got a Heathkit c.b. radio from a friend who built it from a kit but could never get it to work. Trying to get that thing working piqued a curiosity that eventually led to a career in electronics. Never did get it working but it served a better purpose.

Since the unit that you have is 12 volt operated as opposed to line voltage, the electrocution factor goes way down if you should do something SLiGhTLy_STooPiD.

I'll bet with the accumulation of knowledge on this board that you'll get lots of suggestions as to what you can do with it. And no, I'm not being the straight man for at least one suggestion that I'm sure this paragraph will bring to mind. Besides, at 80 pounds, it wouldn't fit anyway.:)

5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    An after thought:

Advertise it in the newspaper, etc. I f it works ok, you should get enough out of it for a few sets of strings or something.

If that doesn't appeal to you, call Good Will and offer it to them. They usually will pick up and donations are tax deductible.

Most importantly, don't just throw it away.

6. Thank you for all your suggestions :)

I started noodling around with it when I cam home from school and tried out some stuff with an old Squire amp i had. My dad "helped" and after 2 hours we had the wire clamp thingys replaced with a EQ and 1/4" input. At first it was static-y and i was getting some feedback so we took apart the Crate and my dad soldered some stuff together. It actually worked!! :D
    We tried to jam with it (my dad's a drummer :rolleyes: ) and i could be heard loud and clear. Even with the biggest amp i had, playing with an amped drumset was frustrating. This thing is loud! Now it's in the 'drum room' for my band/s and his band to use. I think it'll also work great as a monitor. the possibilities are endless