Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Speakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Oct 8, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Hey guys. I recently blew out all the speakers in my car with loud music.... sucks. But... I need some new ones. Obviously the factory speakers weren't that good (that or i played my music way louder than i thougt i did). Anyway, baisically i need some new speakers. I need to completly replace the factory ones and i'd like to get some good quality ones at that. What are some good brands and about what price range would i be looking at?

btw, i drive a Saturn SC1

2. ding ding ding

thats the problem man, the speakers shouldnt be loud enough to blow them. thats getting into harming your hearing levels, and as a bass player i would think you cherish you ears too much to do that to em. that said, i love the way sony's speakers sound. i think they make great sound systems (especially when put with a sony cd player) that sound top notch. i dont know how "phat" your system would sound, but if your going for good quality sound (NOT the booooom BOOM BUZZZZ crap people get nowadays, YUCK) i say go with a sony setup

oh yeah, KEEP THE VOLUME DOWN DUDE

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Baisically i just want loud and clear. I listen to punk, ska, and hardcore so i'm not into THE THUMP.... I've already got about a 10 percent hearing loss from when i was a baby, i like to think i just have to turn it up louder than most to be able to hear it clearly. But i'm just lookin' for an excuse.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    So get a amp, with some better speakers. Like component speakers. with a separate tweeter for the highs at head level. And 6x9's in your doors (or whatever demension your doors are) for your mids. And whatever you want for boom. There are tons of options. Tweek your system to suit your needs.

And what your "Coin" allows. :)

5. for brand of speakers i highly recomend you look at Memphis car audio, in my opinion they make the best speakers and component systems for car audio. not the cheapest, but more than worth every penny.

Check out Memphis here :Memphis car audio

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Oh that BOOM BUZZZZ crap is because people are to cheap to buy something called "Dynamat". It stops that crappy rattling! :)

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I recently replaced my factory speaks in my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew with Pioneer 6x8 4-ways up front and 3-ways in the back and I could NOT be happier. I've never heard a system that compared to mine in both clarity and bass reproduction (not thump, just bass). Depending on what year of Saturn, you probably have 6 3/4" speakers both up front and in back, but don't quote me on that. If so, the chances of you finding 4-ways that will fit are slim to none, but their 3-ways are nothing to laugh at.

These Pioneer 6 3/4"s are $119.99 per pair from Crutchfield, and they'll come with everything you need for a direct hookup into your car.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    A properly constructed and maintained car will do the same:D:D

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've had my Pioneer 6"x9", 3 ways for over 10 years. Loud, clean, and still going strong after years of punishment.

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

I think he was refering to trunk rattle.
    I've never had a problem with any project in the past!

11. Try Boston Acoustics, Xtant, MB quart, JL audio. Theyb make very good components and subs. And Xtant makes aswome Amps too.

12. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    Go a/d/s. not cheap but well worth the money.hand made in germany nad alot better then mb quarts. I am running them in my doors with 300 watts each speaker and they take it like a champ. The set I have can take 450 watts R/M/S. If you need more info pm me.:bassist:

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The best speakers I've ever heard were ADS. I also liked Polk Audio and Boston Acoustic.

I'd try to steer clear of most subwoofer tubes. I have yet to hear one that didn't sound boomy.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I have two Boston Acoustic 10' subs that sound incredibly tight. Not Boomy! Just stay away from larger subs. The problem with most people is "The bigger the better" syndrome. Not true! Polk audio does make some sweet speakers. Nice clarity.

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a single MTX 10" in my truck and I absolutely love it. It reproduces bass *so* well, and can "thump" if need be:D

16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Stay away from sony! Sony only cares about looks nowadays and all of their crap( thats what it is) stops working or messes up no matter how well you care for it. I just got an Aiwa cd player and some pioneer 6x9 3 ways and i have had compliments that go as far as " wow, thats almost as good as my 212 set up." Soon ill replace the ones in the doors with 4 or 5 way pioneers. I may or may not go with a sub set up, with the size of my trunk, i would need a massive amp and speakers than can handle it before it would do much in the car. My friend has a single JVC 10 in his truck and it is probbaly the best sounding 10 i have been exposed to, i am definately considering the purhchase of a pair of them for my sub set up if i decide to go that route.

remember:
    Sony BAD!

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - actually, it's not very hard to blow speakers with an OEM car stereo. Too little power + extremely cheap speakers (less than $5.00 unless you get a premium sound system) = easily blown.

I've got a set of JL Audio 4x6 coax's in the front, and some Infinity Reference 6.5" coax in the back, with a Blaupunkt head. The sound is good. The 12x4 watts of the head is *barely* enough -- I can hear it straining at "pretty loud". The 4x6s have stood up to a pretty good amount of abuse, and I think they have a pretty natural sounding midrange and high-end. Of all the speakers I listened to (in the showroom, admittedly a crappy place to do so), they had the best mids and highs of coax, beaten only by Infinity reference separates (they didn't have any Kappa separates). Neither set was terribly expensive.

As for the Blaupunkt - the first one I got (Munchen) had problems - would be really touchy about the key card, "Wrong KCard!" - um, no it's not. That one got stolen (sans card, :rolleyes: ). The replacement (Hamburg) is also problematic. The volume control has a mind of its own - sometimes I'll slowly turn it up one click, and the volume will jump up 5-10 notches. I seriously worry it could damage my speakers (if not my ears) some day. Also, sometimes when I turn it down the volume goes up!! yeesh.

As for Crutchfield - I first bought four speakers from them, based on their guiding as to what would fit. They told me 5 1/4" front doors with no modification. Nope, sorry guys. I called them on the phone and they were clueless as to why my car didn't match what they thought. I was a bit pissed because I had to completely disassemble my door to find out they were wrong, but oh well. So I sent them back (which was very easy), and took my car to a local shop. Apparently the shop had to do some cutting and building to get the 4x6" to fit.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Like said Here before, If you like it loud you must Dynamat the car. Mine is dynamated. I have Infinity speakers in the front door, Boston acoustics under the back window. JL audio 3x10's in a speaker box professionally done. Loud and clear!

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a pioneer speakers and head. running into a 300watt amp.

i never use the internal power..it just isn't enough..
    i can only turn the head unit to 3 or 4 with my windows down adn i can hear just find...nice clean power

steve