Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car stereo question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matt_chew, Aug 12, 2003.

1. I have some questions about how i can upgrade the stereo in my car. I have a jeep cherokee. My dad gave it to me and he added some speakers and a head unit. He put two full range speakers which are 4 ohms each and handle 125 watts. He also added a pioneer head unit which is 30x4 watts. The system gets loud enough for my needs but distorts at louder volumes. I wanted to add an amplifier to make the sound clearer at louder volumes. If i buy an amp, what limit do i have to what i can get? I would assume I should check the wattage rating at 2 ohms since i have 2 4 ohm speakers correct? Also, can i use the amp to power the new speakers and use the head unit to power the front speakers of the car?
    I was thinking of buying an amp like this

Im sorry if this doesint make much sense. As you can tell, i dont have much experience with car audio as you can probably tell.

2. when you buy the amp (any amp that isn't too powerfull for your subwoofers should be fine) try to get a class D amp which is an amplifier for subwoofers only. also, the subs that you have have a maximum of 300 watts power handling so one 600 watt 2 channel or a 600 watt mono amp will suffice. As for the instalation of the amp, you are going to need all sorts of power, speaker, and RCA cables. for that i recomend you get an ampolifier install kit from a local car audio shop ro if you don't have any shops around, talk to crutchfield. tell them what amp you have and what you want to do with it and they will point you in the right direction for wiring. as for the head unit: there should be some RCA outputs on the back of the head unit (you need to remove the head from the dash to get to these) and you want to connect the RCA cable you will get to the "rear out" ports. the last thing you will need to do to the head uniyt before you re-install it is connect your remote turn on wire to the "remote amp" wire that is wired to the harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. after you do all of that then you can run your power wire (make sure both battery terminals are disconected) put your in-line fuse somewhere near the battery, run your ground wire (very important you have a good clean metal surface and you use the same gauge wire as the power wire), connect your RCA's, remote turn on wire, ground, and power wire to the amp, run speaker wire from the amp to the box and you should be ready to rock!

good luck.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you're only powering 2 speakers with the amp, get a 2 channel amp like the one you linked us to. Think of it as 2 seperate power amps than have been joined together - Each channel can take 4 ohms. so don't worry about the 2 ohm rating unless you're running 2 speakers off each channel.

Nope. The head unit will have loose wiring you can use to attach up to 4 speakers directly to it. It will also have a stereo RCA output that connects it to the amp. When you use the RCA output, the signal to the loose wire outputs is usually cut. Well that's how my Pioneer head works.

If you want to run all 4 speakers, get a 4 channel power amp and run each speaker off one channel. If the amp is too powerful for the front speakers, turn those channels down at the power amp.

There's a few other ways to work it but it's gets more complicated.........

4. I dont know if this makes a difference at all, but my head is actually a kenwood head, not a pioneer. Sorry about that.

About the front two speakers, im not sure if i want to power them from an amp or not. Since the rear speakers i have are full range speakers, im thinking that they will be sufficient in providing a full range of sound that i am looking for. I think i will just try a two channel amp first. Thanks for the help.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    The only problem with that is the fact that those speakers are not subwoofers. A subwoofer amp would only send low freqs, and those speakers are full-range and have horns.

The RCA output only takes the place of the rear outputs when a non-powered woofer is connected to the RCA jacks on the head. So, to answer your question, YES you can still use the head to power the speaks in your Cherokee and the amp to drive the 2 boxes.

Everything Nick said besides the bit about the subwoofers and amp was correct. PM me if you need help installing or have any more questions.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Wait a second....I didn't realize what you were saying at first. Your Cherokee (not sure what year or style so I can't give specifics) is set up with 2 speakers in the front doors and 2 in the rear ceiling or tailgate. Those should still be there no matter what. Unless either you or he made alterations to it, I see no reason not to leave the 4 stock speakers connected to the head and use the RCA jacks to connect the 2 boxes.

7. sorry, once again i havent given u enough info. I forgot to add, and didnt realize until it was brought up that the rear stock speakers are disconnected and the 2 boxes are being used in place of the rear speakers.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, since you're going to have to disconnect the boxes the way they are, why not reconnect them so the head can power them and then use the amp to power the 2 boxes?