Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Sub vs Instrument Sub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by disturbedbass13, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hey you guys. I'm looking to find a new 15", and all my searches bring up Car Subs. What are some differences between these two types of subs?

2. A car sub basically is just meant to be very rumbly and shake the car next to you. It has a terrible color to it also if you try to play bass guitar through it. It also completely lacks a mid section. On top of it sounding like ass, it doesn't work well with a bass guitar amp. (No 1/4"/speakon inputs)

Hope that answers your question.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Annnnnnnnnnd horrible sensitivity. They're meant to go low and loud, in a smallllllllllll place (your car's interior). Do a search though, this has been discussed quite a bit. Can it be done? Sure. Would it work that good? Nah.

-Ray

4. very nice info, thanks you guys.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, 15" instrument speakers arn't really subs, they reproduce much higher frequancies..

6. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    Then you haven't looked here: www.partsexpress.com
    Consider carefully what you do with it, the cabinet design is much more important than the speaker you put inside.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Eminence is one of the big guys for 15"s that aren't boutique.

8. If I can piggy back off this thread....

....I noticed that I've never seen a bassist with a sub.....any reason (assuming he also had a normal rig)?

Do most venues just run the sub bass through the PA?

9. I have a 4x10 bass cab and a 1x15 cab both made to be used by a bass guitar. I'm just looking to replace the speakers.

Derek

10. Any bass cab has a subwoofer in it. thats all a "sub" is.

you can, but i prefer to play through my bass and go direct from my pre-amp (built in direct-box), and use my cab as a semi-monitor.

11. This is not necessarily true. A subwoofer extends into the deepest of the low frequencies and that is it. They aren't designed to handle any mids and do a terrible job when they are swept into those frequencies.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Back in the 70's, 18" folded horn enclosures were quite popular with bassists. Those had basically the same effect as subwoofers. But they were gigantic and you needed a road crew to carry one, so they went the way of the dinosaur.

Nowadays bassists don't use subs very often because they're too big to carry around just to get low end when the PA's they run the bass through almost always have subs, and they want something more full-range than the ultra-lows that a sub produces. And considering that the majority of bassists these days run their basses DI'd to the board, the amp is only a stage monitor anyway, so they'd rather have something that can cut through the rest of the band rather than just pumping out tons of lows.

And 15's aren't subs. 15's are capable of producing the full range of frequencies a bass puts out. I've got an Ampeg B-15N with a 15" speaker, and it's extremely bright.

13. My Son of Bertha (1x15 w/ horn) sounds better on it's own than my Goliath Jr. III (2x10 w/horn) does on its own. Together in 4 ohms, they sound great and very blended.

14. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I would say that almost all 15" speakers are woofers. Some of them are subwoofers. You can play bass through either, but very seldom is a subwoofer used without a woofer. A subwoofer typically doesn't have frequency response much above 250hz and most woofers go to 1500hz or better.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You still have to be certain the the drivers you're using are compatable with the design parameters of the cabinet.
    You have, many times, it just wasn't called that. Most 18" cabs operate in what is technically sub-woofer territory, frequency wise.
    Not so. By definition a subwoofer is a speaker that operates in the frequencies below (sub) those in which a woofer does. It has nothing to do with driver size. The typical electric bass woofer operates well down to perhaps 60 Hz, so in theory a speaker designed to work well an octave or so lower than that could properly be called a subwoofer. In the PA realm, where things are considerably more sophisticated, subwoofers are speakers designed to operate only in the lower frequencies, no higher than 80 to 100 Hz, at which point duties are turned over to the woofers. Electric bass 'subs', ie, 18s, generally don't have that level of sophistication, as they will operate well above 100 Hz, sharing bandwidth with woofers. Restricting the bandwidth of the individual drivers in a system is accomplished with crossovers, either passive or active. In PA crossovers are standard equipment, in bass cabs they're seldom seen. Technically speaking electric bass cabs in general lag PA designs by at least twenty years. That's not unusual when you consider that a very high-end bass cab might go for $1k, while you can't touch very high-end PA speakers for less than three times that.