Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Subs for Guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmacke, Oct 7, 2002.

1. jmacke

jmacke

Oct 7, 2002
    scotland
    Has anyone tried using any arrangement of car SUB bass Speakers to play bass through.
    My son has just installed a 600wattRMS in his car, and it is REAL Scary loud.
    I have inherited his old Dragster SUB, but did not want to try it with 5 string bass in case I damaged my amp. I only want some extra bottom---my Gauss 15" starts to rattle a bit when on bottom B or C

2. I use Rockford subs successfully. Check my profile. The downside is the enormous amount of power required to drive them. Mine have the voice coils configured in series mode, so they draw 500 watts each. Two of these combined with a pair of JBL E110 for the highs (bi-amped) are sufficient for a loud bar. Four subs are required for large gyms or outdoor use where you have to make a lot of sound.

To get down really low, true subwoofers must be either very inefficient, or they require huge cabinets. An automotive sub cannot fit in a huge cabinet, so it is inefficient by design.

The Eminence Magnum 18LF is ideal for a 5-string bass, and has a MUCH higher SPL rating (far more efficient). The SBB4 vented alignment offers excellent transient response ("fast") in 4 cubic feet tuned at 32 Hz.

3. jmacke

jmacke

Oct 7, 2002
    scotland
    Thanks Bgavin for your ideas on subs.
    I have tried one out, just a 12" and I really like the sound of it, so far only in the house.

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    bgavin, I got -9db at 31hz in a 4ft vented box. I was just wondering if your numbers are the same for that driver? If so wouldnt it be best for a 4 string. I could easily (very very easily) be wrong.

Edit for fat fingers

5. The Magnum 18LF in SBB4 alignment is -9dB at 31 Hz. It is a very gentle rolloff that starts high, around 80 to 100 Hz. This is a true 96 SPL driver operating in 4.03 cubic feet, and it still performs well at low B.

The benefit is tuning the box at the SBB4 alignment and getting the best transient response. The group delay numbers are very modest and the 32 Hz tuning makes it very safe for a 5-string at maximum power. You can EQ the box at 32 Hz to push it up if need be.