car subwoofers as bass speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 00soul, Jul 30, 2005.

1. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    anyone ever try this? or is it too bassy? would you even be able to hear the notes? too heavy? i was touching my car sub woofer (boston acoustics) and it feels way stiffer than my trace elliot speakers.
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I havent, I imagine it sounds terrible. I helped hook a bass amp as sub woofers for a car system though
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    1) Do a search - this has been done to death.
    2) It will hardly work, volume, tone, or otherwise.

4. There are two problems with that idea. First is frequency range. Car subs are designed to rattle license plates, not reproduce accurate bass. Second is sensitivity. Car subs are typically rated in the neighborhood of 86db@1 watt and would gobble up massive amounts of power.
  5. All above are right.

Think of it this way, you can get a couple hundred watt car amp to drive them easily, which is what many people are using to gig with in small/med sized bars. Yet a car is a very small enclosed area, doesn't really require much to fill it at all. What does that tell you?

With such an overabundance of power for the small size of the room, no need for an efficient speaker design or enclosure type. The speakers are optimized for response at the expense of efficiency in small generally sealed enclosures intended for very small boomy rooms (i.e. passenger compartment).

You try to optimize the design for the intended application. They may work fine in a similar application, say small dorm room subwoofers. But not likely to work in a completely alien environment from that which they were designed to work in. Large ported relatively full-range cabs require completely different driver specs than small enclosed cabs intended for subwoofer apps.