1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car that fits a fridge...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ETThompson, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    We're looking at getting a new car (SUV) next year and of course I need to plan for fitting my fridge!

Right now we have a 2008 Ford Escape, which fits the 810e like a glove if you fold down the larger fold down seat, and the head fits right beside it. It's like it was designed for the cab (though can't do it when the cover's on...)

We're looking at a recent (not new, probably 2012 - 2014) CR-V - anyone know if this will fit one? Other good SUVs in this class which would work? We're not gonna go much bigger, we want a 'small' SUV. But it's gotta fit the fridge f course!

--ET

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Rolls Royce offers an optional fridge in the trunk.

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPG

3. Take your cab with you while car shopping.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    CR-V is good. The very related Element is also very roomy and has the fold down tailgate for super easy loading of fridges, although it was discontinued in 2011.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Depending on specifics, a soapbox might fit inside a fridge. :wacky:

6. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Found this on a car forum for a '17 CR-V

Width between the wheel wells is 41"; non wheel well width is 57.5" Length is a little more complicated as the back hatch is curved so the distance on the sides is less than the middle. That said, here is the distance based on different configurations: --With passengers in the back seat, the cargo area is 38" deep in the middle and 35" deep on the left and right sides. -- With the back seat folded down, it is 73" deep in the middle and 70.5" on the sides. -- With the front passenger seat all the way forward, the distance is 83"

7. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have a 2006 Escape and my bestie has a 2016 or so CR-V. I can't imagine anything that fits my car not fitting hers.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Anyone who won't let you try it doesn't want to sell you a car.

That being said, I hope you get some real world experience answers.

Duder and MFeleki like this.
  9. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks...kind of. Well, some of you! :laugh:

10. I know a fridge will fit in a Ford edge very nicely . And it looks like it will in the crv. According to the specs stigbeve posted

ETThompson likes this.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Fitting is one thing, ease of loading and unloading is another. Of course as I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, everything looks heavy and inconvenient!

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Not sure why that printed so bold. Sorry

BadExample likes this.
  13. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    2011 Subaru Outback will fit the fridge.

jefff100 likes this.
  14. As far as ease of unload and load check out Dino's video on YouTube on how to load a fridge. Just search how to unload an Ampeg 810

PullThePlug likes this.
  15. That is exactly what I did before buying a Subaru Outback. Although it wasn't a fridge, it was a Metro, and it had to fit without folding down the back seats. Ended up moving up from the Forester to the Outback b/c the Forester did not meet this criteria.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I'd be angry too just after a shoulder repair!

17. MFeleki

MFeleki Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I agree, much more practical than a tape measure.

18. Ford transit van? I know it is not and SUV but I am looking at one to haul gear.

troy mcclure and Rickter like this.
  19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Almost any hatchback will do.

20. Focus ST fits with back seats folded down.
    I even measured the Fiesta ST before I bought my focus and I think it would have even fit in a Fiesta hatch.

Josh Kneisel and Sartori like this.