Car trouble... any advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi all,

I just tried to take off in my car and had a problem. It starts, and idles fine... for as long as I like, it seems. It sounds strong. BUt then if I put it in gear it coughs and shuts down. It's really hot where I am. Also, I didn't have any problems with my car this morning... or in recent memory.

Any ideas on what it could be? And how bad the damage might be at a repair shop if need be?

Thanks for your advice!!
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Maybe a fuel problem. Check the fuel filter first, it may also be a fuel pump.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what kind of car is it?
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What kinda ... a damned penguin car, alright?

Anyway, if it only does it when you put it in gear, just don't put it in gear.

There y'go.
  5. Could be water in the fuel, and/or if it's a carby model, worn jets in the carby.
  6. There is a whole list of things that could be causing the problem, some of them quite simple to remedy. I don't care to offer the whole list here. A few of the simple things that come to mind are moisture under the distributor cap (assuming you have a distributor), clogged fuel filter, clogged PCV valve, loose or broken vacuum line (especially at the PCV valve), clogged air filter, ............ A failing fuel pump could be causing the problem, any of several failing sensors, also a faulty catalytic converter. More diagnosis will be needed if the problem persists. If it's a carb model, the choke may not be opening. Most cars have some sort of heat riser tube from the exhaust manifold to divert warm air to the carb/injection system for cold starts. This diverter should switch to normal cooler outside air when up to operating temperature. If it does not open, the air entering the system may be too warm, telling the engine to function as if it were cold when it is not.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Worn jets? Care to elaborate?

Gabe- need more info. Year, make, model, engine size etc........
  8. Old Holdens were loosely based on Chevy's and used a Stromberg carburettor. I was just assuming if he had an old car it may have a similar set-up. The symptoms he described perfectly suit what used to happen with worn metering jets.
  9. Assuming its a late model car with an OBD-II computer system, i'm just going to throw in a wild guess at cam shaft position sensor malfunction. Meh, i tried. :confused:

Please give us some info on the vehicle.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Will need a bit more info.
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine did the same when my mass air sensor went... started and idled great... actually went 15 or so MPH any more and good night.
  12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I see this quite a bit with Fords and some GM cars when the element in the Mass Airflow Sensor (otherwise known as a MAF) gets dirty (they will get so much crud on them they look like a Chia pet). Most of the time you can disassemble the MAF and clean it with a shot of Gumout and all will be well. Under no circumstances should you ever use any tools to try and scrape the crud off the MAF element......use a spray cleaner only.
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Everyone else is guessing so I will too :)

The idle speed is set too low. I'm assumin an Automatic transmission, meaning that going from Park to Drive causes a drop in the revs of aprox 500rpm, enough to make it stall. It's usually a sign that you're overdue for a tune-up.
  14. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    That would trip the "Check Engine" light.
  15. My wife's Merc. Grand Marquis had the exact same symptoms. It was a fouled O2 sensor. Unfortunately, those little buggers are not that cheap to replace. Any repair shop should be able to pull the codes from the computer and diagnose it easily.
  16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Without knowing what the car is and all its particulars, I won't even guess.
  17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Actually, BG Air induction cleaner (#406) works really well for this purpose.

The idle air control could be a culprit too. We've changed countless numbers of these on the late 90's Toyota Camrys.

The EGR valve could be doing it too. When that went on my 1989 Buick Century 4 cylinder, the car barely even ran when the tranny was engaged.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    good advice, mine was actually an 85 Volvo and the wire had broke
    :eek: luckily a cheap visit to the local salvage yard had me going fine ;)