1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car Trouble... please help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    not really problems w/ a car... but w/ my dad. I turn 16 in a week, and get my license in a little less than a month. Dad told me to look around, find an inexpensive car, that wouldnt raise our insurance very much. Well I found this '95 Saturn SC2 for $4995. Fully loaded, excelent condition. When i first saw this car i really knew it was a good car (i've got great intuition, i dont care if u believe me or not). Neway, first he started telling me that we couldnt afford it, then he starts talking about this new truck he is looking at ($7000), and how his plan all along has been to give me either the station wagon, or his Ford Taurus. This pisses me off, i would have been fine if he told me from the beggining thats what i'd be driving, but he got my hopes up... so i'm not gonna take it! NE one help me think of ways or things to do or say that would help talk him into getting me this Saturn.

btw, his Taurus is the newest car of neone in our family.

2. Umm, no offense but if I were you, I'd take whatever is given to you and be thankful. You're lucky that someone is GIVING you a car...I have friends who can't afford to drive a car, even a cheapy.

Hey, I'm looking to buy a car soon and have only begun to realize how difficult (ie. expensive) it is to acquire and maintain a vehicle.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah, if it's free(and working) don't argue. That's a rather nice gesture of your father, IMO.

4. First car, suck it up.
    If it drives use it, make some money and buy your own car.
    You may have great intuition but until you have had a couple of cars you truly have nothing to base it on.
    Sometime crap sparkles.

5. Let's look at the balance sheet here, shall we?...

car...

no car...

car...

walk everywhere...

car...

ride with my friends everywhere...

car...

geek label until I buy my own...

car...

no dates...

car...

ride my bike everywhere...

Dude! You're absolutely right. Turning down the car is the right way to go. There's no better way to demonstrate that you really CAN make good decisions for yourself. What was your Dad thinking?

:rolleyes:

6. P.S. here is a little tip.
    I would go with the Taurus seeing that it is newer.
    If you end up with the Wagon just throw a mattess in the back and they will force you to use the Taurus.
    Good Luck.

7. What year is the Taurus? I drive a 95 Taurus sedan, it's a decent car, not great on gas, but it's big enough to carry friends and bass gear. Yeah, take what you can get, any car's better than no car, and you could do a lot worse than a Taurus.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Havin' a little fun in the Shaggin Wagon, now are we. I agree, they'd definitely reconsider on your car situation.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree with the posters here.

Not everyone gets a free car you know.

10. I have to agree also. Take the free one or buy your own. BTW, my first car was our old 1975 Buick Estate Wagon. Shaggin' Wagon - Yah Baby!

11. I also agree with what has been said.

If I would get a free car I wouldn't care if it was a '88 Lada Samara! ;)

btw... I've often wondered... is it any easier to write "ne" instead of "any" in anyway and anyone?

12. Did you know that Ladas have never been crash-tested? :eek:

13. actually, no.. I didn't know that.

btw.. interesting sidenote. I once talked to a guy who had installed car seats from a Mitsubishi Galant in his Lada Sport. :)

14. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, don't worry! I'm 20, I really understand what are you feeling like, but I'm sure that you'll forgive this in a while. Don't think about it, it's not a big problem. If you have good friends that get drunk in your car, it doesn't matter if it's a Taurus! ;)

15. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    You guys are all right. I was pretty pissed off right then because he sorta got my hopes up about getting me a car then told me that it was never his plan at all. ANYway, I told him i'd drive the Taurus. But it has no cd player, anyone know where i can find one. I dont want the panel player, i want the changer, that mounts in that trunk ya know? Thanks for settin' me straight guys.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    free car
    not good enough

This never ceases to amaze me;)

Seems like some perspective is in order. Your dad didn't have to buy or give you squat. Think about that simple fact for a while and maybe you'll gain a new perspective on this. IMO this perspective can come in very handy later in life.

17. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Please forgive me when I say that you are spoiled!...I never had the luxiory of having my parents give me a car...I wasn't alowd to drive until I was 18 years old. My daughter will hate me for she will have to buy herself a car and pay for her own insurance...Dude...Grow up, take what was handed to you and stop griping!...CD player? helloooo...Get a job, buy a stereo and enstall it...Gosh the youngsters today...

18. I'm 15 and I own a nicer car than some people well in their 20s....

(yes, i AM spoiled rotten :D)

19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Ok , here is some advice from a guy who is in this business.
    The Taurus is actually a decent car (especially if it has the 3.0 liter V6-the 3.8 isn't so great, but if you're getting it for free, take it-just watch those coolant levels)
    I would actually avoid the Saturn. I guy I used to play with tows cars for his fathers shop. He told me that Saturn's end up on the hook more than any other car.
    I believe the Tauras is a bit larger too-it is a nice riding car IME.
    Trust me, that Tauras is better than my first cars ever were.

20. ARA are you ritch or something. sheesh chill yo and be thankful you dont have to walk. and on a side note dont drink and drive. im serious its a frickin bad idea. call your father at 4 in the morning and say "im drunk and need a ride". he will be proud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.