Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

car trunk + subwoofers + bass = ???????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Oct 2, 2004.

1. 2 day i had my first gig with my school bad and i had 2 but my bass and the other bass players bass in the trunk of my car. i have 2 10' subs in my trunk were i had to but the basses(usaly i but it in the back seat but i had to drive people).

on the way over i had the radio very low but the strings were knocked out of tune. after the show i kind had the radio blasting and after we took oure basses back we both had white scratches on our head stock and really really out of tune strings.

my question is this besides the scratch (which i have know idea how it could have got there) and the detuned strings what other damages could this be doing. i dont want to do any more damage then i did just for future refrences.

thanks in advanced :D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, none really, unless the basses are being subjected to physical shock. Sound energy won't harm a bass at any level that a human could suvive. I mean, look at some of the soumd levels people play at at gigs! Just be careful with the basses moving around, and you will be just fine.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Can you re-type that so I can understand it? Then I'll have no problem with answering your question.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think the B's (But) are supposed to be P's, but it was pretty hard to decipher regardless.

5. The basses were most likely knocked out of tune due to the change in ambient conditions. (Was it extremely cold or extremely warm?) What about humidity.

Nevertheless...don't ever store your basses in the shower...it's just NOT a good idea. :D

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well then how are you supposed to wash them? Hmmm, I guess you could use a bath tub.

7. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    The white scatches sound like pressure cracks in the finish coating.

I used to have nice subs in my SUVs but gave up cause there wasnt enough room once I started haulin around bass cabs & heads every other day.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I don't think the SPL's of the sub box could do anything of significance to your basses unless of course you have an SPL competeition car where the rumbling may actually loosen your trussrod a bit, but other than that, the only thing that could have effected your your bass was probobly due to climate changes.

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It probably gets pretty hot in the trunk of your car. There's no air circulation at all, and the sun beats down on the trunk lid. Aside from that, in a lot of cars there is little to no shielding in the trunk area from the heat of the exhaust pipe, so it can get pretty toasty back there even at night and during winter. Not a great idea to bake your bass at 180 degrees (or more....).

If people have to ride in your back seat, have them carry your bass in their lap.

If there's just no way around putting it in the trunk, try to let it have some time to adjust to room temperature gradually. Don't take it out of a hot trunk, straight into a cold area. The sudden change in temperature does nasty things, like cracking the finish. Likewise, do not take it from the back of a pickup in the middle of winter into a heated room. In both the hot-to-cold and cold-to-hot situations, you can take it to where you're going, but leave it in it's case, unopened, for at least 20 or 30 minutes, giving it time to slowly come up (or down) to room temperature.

10. Well, I'm CERTAIN that if the subs were in a box that NO SPL was high enough to be anything but annoying to passing cars. :rolleyes:

11. were the bases in a case? i know this is a silly question, but it would make a differeance. if the basses are just sitting in the trunk w/o cases or gigbags, even the safest driver would make them move around some...that'll knock them out of tune too.