Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Vs. Garage Wall

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Okay.. So I come home from poker. I don't have a garage door opener, so I have to get out of the car and open the door with brute man force. I get back in my car and I have both my legs to one side of the steering wheel. I'm wearing these huge boots and thick socks.. I pull into the garage, but I'm having trouble finding the break. I put it in park, but too late. WHAM.

Winner: Car

FATALITY.(Pwnt)

[​IMG]

X_X

[​IMG]

Roooooar.

2. Better unorder that roscoe so you can pay for them there dents in that there wall.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I could fix those dents for about 6 bucks. Maybe 10. But, also, if you can't stop, use the hand brake or e-brake. NEVER throw it into park. You can very easily break a motor and/or transmission mount.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was going about 1 MPH... and my E brake doesn't work. :p

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Be nicer to your car! :p

But, I have seen motor mounts broken that way at pretty low speeds. But, 1 mph will likely not do anything. But it's possible.

On a side note, not having a working e-brake can make your rear brakes wear out prematurely. It's a worthy investment to get them fixed.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

... Must.. buy.. roscoe..

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I used to own a Corvette. I couldn't see the front because it sloped down. I put several holes in the garage sheetrock.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's a simple homeowner patch, easy. Like Trev said, about $10 in materials from your local Home Depot/Lowes.

You can also pack the holes with news paper, and then spray a SMALL amount of expanding foam in the hole. When the foam expands, take a razor and shave it flush with the wall. After that, put some drywall tape and mud over it. When it dries, apply some paint and you're done.

There are some other simple ways to fix that as well. If you want/need some more ideas, PM me. I was a drywall finisher for 17 years.

-Mike

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I think you could fill those holes with about $10 worth of cheap bubble gum.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How?

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Sweet car btw.. ;)

When i read the title, i pictured the standard go-to-back-out-of-driveway-but-car-is-in-drive routine. Anyway, seems to be an easy fix.

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Indeed.

Unless you're driving around using your parking brake instead of your regular brakes. :eyebrow: And that wouldn't help anything but your front pads. Double :eyebrow:

13. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'd like to add that using the e-brake in a situation with no brakes would result in the snapping of the brake cable since the e-brake doesn't use a hydrolic system. Applying the brake slowly will work, but people usually panic and snap the cable.

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

As already noted that looks like a piece of cake to repair, but you could also just run a board horizontally across the wall and cover both holes, leaving a wooden bumper for insurance against future events for very little money too, especially if you have some old boards already laying around. 2x8 should work nicely.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Unless the cables are rusted to the point of breaking, they won't break from a panic stop. You'd be suprised how durable a parking brake cable is.

16. I think everyone who is mentioned the ease of this repair is missing the big picture....that car is a tank! Every time I see it, I get jealous :p

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    German Engineered :p

18. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    w00t! [german dialect] Varvick Und Volksvagen [/german dialect]

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check it. Get the car in the garage in the correct position. Hang a tennis ball on a string down so that it makes contact with the windshield.

Probably wouldn't have helped in this situation, but at least the car would be the right spot.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

Mike would be the first person I would PM on a "how to" for this....this is only if I have to do it....but, my wife enjoys this stuff so I would ask her to do it...