Car Wreck...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Nov 22, 2003.

1. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    So I got in a wreck today...
    I was on a three hour drive too my sisters basketball game and when I was about 20 minutes to destination, the traffic suddenly slowed and turned stop and go. Well, the fellow behind me, driving a Toyota Tacoma, "dazed off"(his words) and slammed into the back of my itty-bitty Geo Prism. My Prism slid forward into the backside of a Ford Escape ahead of me. So we all pull over and start too exchange information. I dial 911 too get a squad car out there, but guess what? 911 doesnt work on major Highways in rural areas. Eventually, we manage too get a squad car there and get everything in order. Luckily there were no injuries:D , the Toyota and the Ford came out almost completely unscathed, however my Prism, which I just bought a month ago, is practically totalled. The Trunk is crushed in completely, the front end is crushed in, the lights are all broken, but one headlight and one tail light still light up. I havent been able too get the hood open to check the engine, but since the car made the 200 mile trip home, I suspect its ok. I dont think theres any possible way too repair the damage for less than what I payed for the thing, so I suspect the car will be totalled and I'll soon be getting a Insurance check..... just hope I can find a decent deal again though:meh: :( :meh:
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    WOW! Thats horrible, but it is great to hear that you, and everyone else, is ok! Don't worry about the car, that can be replaced. Your health cannot. Just be thankful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm glad that you're OK!

I'm afraid that your story is becoming all too common as we live through this light-truck/suv epidemic.

I hope it works out well for you in the end.
  4. Thats what I call a compact car....(C/O two stupidly huge SUVs...)

5. tacoma is a truck ;)

Sorry bout your situation man! At least it wasn't your fault.
  6. be lucky you didnt have any gear in there:)

sorry to hear about the car:(
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mate I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad there were no injuries. But this sentence struck me as odd.

Where I come from, they don't let you drive away from an accident where the car has been damaged. The engine may still run but they will insist it gets towed directly to a repairer, just in case something less obvious is broken that may cause another accident. If you refuse, they issue a "Defect Notice" and it gets towed anyway, but to the police impound. You've then got to go throught miles of red tape to get your car back and they will only release it to a smash repairer.

I learned all this the hard way...........
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000

You would not believe some of the vehicles that are allowed to run on the roads of the with crumpled body panels, missing head and tail lights, missing exhaust systems, etc.; cars with engines so worn out that you'd swear that they had a two stroke engine under the hood (bonnett).

Most States require motorists to have insurance, but many people still drive without it...
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Unless you live in a state that does a decent job with handling vehicle inspections...
  10. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    well this states Kentucky so....
    But anyway, its been a day or so since the accident and methinks I've developed a bad case of whiplash, my neck is horribly stiff and in pain, im going to the doctors Tuesday if it dont clear up tommorow.
  11. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :( Man that sucks... hope you get better. Damn those careless drivers!:D

Hope your neck gets better too man, sore necks make it hard to play bass :bassist:
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Yes, by all means, get your neck looked at. While you're at it, keep a pain diary and make sure to detail how your injury affects your life.

Don't say anything to the Tacoma or Escape's insurance companies either.

Tort cases aren't worth what they used to be, but you should get something over and above medical costs and getting your car fixed.

Good luck!!!
  13. Glad to hear that you're not too badly injured - at the end of the day that's the main thing. Yes, diarise everything about your whiplash and how it is affecting you. It might not be much but hopefully it'll provide you with soemthing towards medical bills, replacement car or if really lucky new bass gear on top of everything else!:)
  14. Again, Tacoma is a truck, and a Ford Escape is a compact SUV.