1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carbon Fiber ABG???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashkenazy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ashkenazy

ashkenazy

Oct 4, 2007
    Rainsong used to make a carbon fiber ABG but that's the only one I remember ever hearing about and they are long out of production. I'm seriously considering semi-retirement and moving onto a sailboat so I'm looking for a nice ABG. I am scared to death of warping a good wood instrument though and not really interested in a series of disposable instruments either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Mich

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
  3. ashkenazy

ashkenazy

Oct 4, 2007
    Interesting. I'll email them, thanks.
    Judging from the prices of his other instruments I'd guess around $2500-$3000USD.

Composite Acoustic Guitars got back to me and said they have plans for an ABG but that right now it would be a VERY expensive one off. Rainsong has no intention to build any more ABGs

I seriously hesitate to spend $3K without playing. The Rainsong carbon fiber guitars I've heard have sounded very good but I was really unimpressed with the $12K Luis & Clark composite upright I played a couple of months ago.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    My Luthier has a friend who sailed around the world so he took an Ovation with him. Faired quite well and he stated that in emergencies it could be used as a boat paddle :hyper:
    I played a 5 string Ovation yesterday and thought it sounded pretty good for a ABG but did not like the neck. Of course that is all personal choice.
    I have gone through the process of playing just about every commercial ABG and had owned a Michael Kelly Club. Did not like any of them!! 2 weeks ago I played a Dean Playmate and was really impressed for $199.00 I strictly played it Acoustically and have heard that the Electronics have a lot to be desired but you are going to be on a boat and if something goes wrong, you are a not out of a lot of money.