Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carbon Fiber pick guards...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sbocaj55, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    So I know I just joined this forum so I don't have any reason to be trusted other than my word and feedback from other forums, but I was interested in making Carbon Fiber pick guards for whatever bass you guys have and want one for. I do a lot of carbon fiber work for automotive-related things, and Think that a carbon fiber pick guard would look amazing on basically any bass out there (not sure about wood-finish though).

What do you guys think? I'll be honest I'm a college student and could use a little extra money on the side, so wanted to offer up my services. Do you guys agree or disagree that it would look cool? I can't post a classified thread though for some reason, so I decided to get people's general opinions here.

2. That'd be badass. But so expensive.

3. i dont think it would be that much more than a Fender made pickguard.....the only question would be consistent fit and finish

4. Carbon Fiber is priced on how it is built. Some CF pieces have multiple players upon multiple layers to add strength and be able to endure stress. A CF PickGuard wouldn't need to endure any riggers where strength is a factor, meaning that it wouldn't need to be multi layered, which means that it can sell for pretty darn cheap. I think a reasonable price would be around $40-$60 for a pickguard, pending on size, and availability of material.

If I had a white strat, or jazz, I'd be all over this!

-ryan-

5. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    The problem is that there is a big shortage of CF in the US due to government contracts, etc. The most expensive issue with building a pickguard is its thickness...even though it isn't that thick, really. My pickguard is 3/32" thick, which I'm sure is about standard. To make one that is made out of only CF fabric or CF fabric sandwiching an eigth-inch wood sheet would cost you guys about $90 shipped. Fitment would not be any worse than any Fender made pickguard...I can make it match them perfectly...or pretty darn close to perfect. Of course if I would get more guys interested, I could bump the price maybe $5 a piece. I know it would be double what you would pay for a plain pick guard...but it's 5 times the craftsmanship....hand made, and truly unique.

The other option is that I buy 1/16th plastic sheet, cut it to the right shape, and then cover it with one layer of CF to reduce the cost. That would be about $65 shipped, but wouldn't be quite the showpiece since it is an overlay.

What do you think?

6. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    P.S. I just watched a guy play at an open mic night a couple weeks ago at a local coffee shop. The acoustic he played on was 100% carbon fiber. It was amazing...and I bet the price was too.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure, I'll take one for my MIA Fender Jazz. Can you send me a couple pics?

-Mike

8. A freind of mine has one of those. I forgot what the brand was, though. They list up to 3000ish I think. Awesome sounding guitars, and very light weight too.

9. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    uh I don't have any made yet...I'm just thinking about it. I won't be able to make any for maybe a month...I was just seeing if there is a general interest if I can get the prices reasonable. I would also need some guys with extra pick guards to send me theirs so I can make a template

10. frank84

frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    it sounds great,
    but, i am not sure if you can make any size and figure..

from my experience not all Fender J Bass' pickguards are same..

if you can figure this out, and can make perfect fit my bass, it will be great.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably an Ovation Adamas, favored by lesbians the world over.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Or a Rainsong, or a CA...

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    How would they hold up to scratches or pick/finger rash?

I am hard on pickgaurds just using my fingers, I never feel them hitting the gaurd but the wear proves it.

14. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    Yeah even when you buy pickguards from Fender made for your bass...they don't always fit perfect. What I'll need to do is have some guys volunteer to send me a pickguard of theirs for me to make a template from, then I can make one and send you the CF one and your own.

for guys that don't have pickguards already, or can't send me yours for some reason, then I will have to try to find one from someone else with your type of bass and send you one that fits it...then you might have to file it down a little bit.

As far as wear on the pickguard...that is yet to be determined. I think it should hold up very well...but only time will tell. I'm trying to negotiate with some composite suppliers right now to make sure I can get the absolute best deal without sacrificing quality too much.

15. This would work even better with basses that already have CF in them. Wasn't it Reverend that had a CF neck on a couple models?

Personally, I think it would go well on a motif bass, say painted up to look like a street racer or something.

Rock on
    Eric

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'd need to see some pictures before I'd be interested.

I'd suggest making one and posting some pictures. Judging from the popular "no pictures, no bass/amp" comment, a photo would greatly help you out.

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds cool. I'd consider one...but I'd need to see some pics first.:)

18. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    it seems like there is enough interest to make a good crack at em...hopefully in a week or two I will have my dremel and materials and made a prototype...i def. wouldn't expect anyone to commit b4 seeing pics.

19. I'll categorize this as a "feasibility study" and, as such, will not delete the thread. Be guided by the following when ready to market your pickguards:

Talk Bass Rule #7: Spam = BAD
    The posting of non-solicited advertisments in the forums will not be tolerated. Free Classifieds Forums are provided for personal sales, however a Supporting Membership is required to post. Non-Supporting Members must also refrain from posting 'for sale' ads or links to ads in their profile signatures. If you own, operate, or are employed by a music-related business be sure and read the Commercial User Policy for specific participation guidelines. Please contact TalkBass to discuss advertising opportunities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.