Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carbon Neck basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Who makes em, and which is the best?

Do they sound as good as a high end all wood bass?

lemme know your thoughts... would they work in a heavy rock type genre? :help:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    1) Status, Moses, Modulus, Zon...
    2) Status! Maybe Zon as well, haven't been able to try one yet. :(
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

:D You may find a search helps for more detailed answers. There's a recent thread about Moses necks that has some useful info relevant to this.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Steinberger also did graphite necks.
    Alembic also had some when Modulus was still part of Alembic
    And there were some more little companies, and customs...

Most people say they sound different: they are brighter.

And yes, they would most probably work in heavy rock, but it also depends on the body woods, pups, technique, etc...

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    How could I forget Steinbergers? They were the first, I think... with the square bodied bass. Only played one once, about 1986/7 I think, sounded great but the small body did mean there was some neck dive. And it felt weird to play it sitting down.

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have never played one before, but I heard that they sound "digital". :meh: Not sure how you want to translate that, but... I've heard Zons, and I absolutely love their sound. Take a listen to anything Michael Manring does; amazing tone!

Joe

6. These are all good choices. Keep in mind that each neck sounds a little different from one another and each have different profiles/dimensions. You can also add Parker to this list as well.

These are the top 6 companies that you want to explore and focus on: Status, Zon, Parker, Modulus, Steinberger, and Moses.

Stick to these 6 solid companies and you'll surely find something to your liking!

If you find a company that you might want to work with, make sure that you demo their gear, talk to their endorsers, get a sense of the financial stability of the company, and do as much web research as possible. From there, you will have a wealth of information to assist your buying decision. :)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Each manufacturer has his own design and manufaction process, so they don't sound the same.
    A SKC Graphite neck (on almost all older German basses a la Schack, Clover and Bogart) differs a lot from Status, for example, as do Steinberg, Modulus or Zon.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    [Homer voice]
    D'oh!
    [/voice]

:D

I knew i was forgetting something. I've even seen a used Schack in a shop some time ago

9. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Also, you can get a warmoth body and buy a status replacement neck (or other brand), if you want to go a more custom route.
    Personally, I would love to have a status S-2-Classic Headless as a practice bass when I travel because the neck never warps. But I wouldn't want one as a studio bass because they have a very bright sound. I prefer a wenge or maple neck to get the job done.
    Happy Shopping!