1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carbon reinforced necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christine, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Sat in the van and killing time so time to ask this question:

do you have an opinion on carbon reinforced necks? Lifeless, full of life, dark, bright? And anything else they may or not be aside from helping keep the neck more stable.

Ive never played one and honestly have no idea but I’ve been considering putting them in my new build but I’d love to hear what you guys who may have used them have to say

thanks smile.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I wouldn't bother unless it had 5 or more strings

Christine likes this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I really can't tell the difference. I have two maple P's, one carbon reinforced rosewood P, and a carbon reinforced rosewood J. They all sound completely different, but how much of that could be the reinforcement I could never tell you.
    A lot of very good builders swear by carbon, and an equal number say it's not ness.
    I spent 5 days poking around 2 fender factories (Corona, and Ensenada) I asked one of the R&D guys, and he said they have less twisting issues with carbon. Read between the lines, it doesn't help or hinder tone, but less warranty issues. That being said, the Custom Shop builds more basses without than with. To further muddy the waters, Custom Shop hand selects each neck blank very carefully, and gets the cream of the crop in how it is sawn, it's grain, and it's resonance. Each Custom Shop neck if one of about 50 blanks. Regular American necks get the next one on the pile, and unless there is something obviously wrong with it, it goes on the next bass made. Therefore, as a precautionary measure it gets carbon, because it may not be the most perfect piece of wood ever grown.
    Now, my totally subjective opinion, it takes very little time to jig up to carbon reinforce a neck, and carbon these days is cheap, why not give yourself the little bit of peace of mind carbon offers?

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Are you asking about wood necks with carbon fiber stiffening bars embedded under the fingerboard on either side of the trussrod...or necks made entirely (or mostly) out of carbon fiber?

Christine likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A quick note about wood at the Fender factory, because I stood mesmerized. There's one guy (forgot his name) at recieving who inspects trucks full of wood from Oregon, and Canada. In a couple of seconds he can determine where the body is going (Mexico or Corona), what finish it's going to get, if it's in line for Custom Shop, he circles any small flaws so the sawyer can determine which way around a body goes into the CNC machine, and twenty other small things.
    Thousand of neck blanks pass thru his hands every week, and he can spot problems, QC, and sort- all on the fly.
    This guy is the eighth wonder of the world.

6. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have a Fender Hot Rod Precision with the carbon reinforced neck. I have other Fenders without. I can't tell any difference in sound, feel or setup procedure. It maybe doesn't require truss rod tweaks as much as my others, which I usually need to adjust spring and fall.

Christine likes this.
  7. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Wood. African mahogany quatersawn 5 laminates and bookmatched on the outer 4, currently ripped and settling before planing and gluing It will be quite a thin neck

8. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Sorry have to go and set up, back online tomorrow
    Interesting so far :)

9. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    That by itself will certainly not be prone to twisting, it will be about as stable a neck as you can make out of mahogany. If it were me, since there's no maple in the mix, I would be tempted to put carbon in there, but that's just me.
    A guy with a lot of opinions on both CF necks, and CF reinforcement is Rick Turner (Alembic, and Turner guitars). I don't think he's on TB, but can be found on Facebook. He's really easy to talk to.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Christine likes this.
  10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    African mahogany is about 15% less stiff than hard maple (10.60GPa vs. 12.62GPa, Wood-Database.com). Between that and being quite thin, I'd strongly consider carbon fiber reinforcement unless you're doing a short scale or plan on dedicating the bass to low tension strings.

11. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    @Rick Turner is on TalkBass but not as regularly as his other creative outlets. There are a few posts here with his thoughts on graphite-reinforced necks if you dig for them.

I have a few of his basses; a pair of Renaissance 5-strings and a pair of Electrolines 5-strings... they are incredibly stable necks. Not sure how (or even if) they would sound different without the graphite though.

Christine likes this.
  12. All I can say is that the carbon fiber reinforced neck on my Kiesel multiscale bass doesn't budge one bit after truss rod adjustment, and it spends it's time in climate temperamental New England. I'm a believer.

Christine and 4StringTheorist like this.
  13. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Thanks- He's on FB quite a bit, so I chat with him on messenger every once in a while.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.