1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carbonized maple, anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sardine, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sardine

Sardine

Feb 2, 2009
    Maine
    I recently visited a local luthier in portland, actually a group of three, a violin maker and two guitar makers. One of the guitar makers showed me a piece of wood called carbonized maple, which was stunning to say the least. It had the appearance of toasted or stained maple, a rich brown with very striking figure. Apparently the process involves heating the wood in a furnace so it smokes, then drawing all the oxygen from the chamber, which causes the smoke to flow right back into the wood, or something like that. Apparently it adds strenth to the material. It gave off a beatiful tone when tapped. The peices I saw were destined to become a violin. I was curious to see if anyone else has used this wood, on a solidbody or acoustic. If it's tone matches it's appearance, it would be quite an instrument.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    About half a year ago someone was going to use some. Don't know how it turned out.

FYI when they do a similar process on bamboo, it weakens it. Figures are at the company site, plyboo or ply-boo.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I know wood turners sometimes use heat to accentuate grain. Apparently end grain burns (caramelizes?) at at different speed from the other direction (sorry i'm not too good with the terms) and so figured wood, which contains a mishmash of end grain and the other type, will look better if given the treatment.

EDIT: Found the link http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/burning-wood.html

White ash bowl from the article: black-rain.