1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Carbow Robertson & Sons French Bow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by evanrunyon, May 3, 2018.

1. evanrunyon

evanrunyon Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Brooklyn NY
    Price:
    Style:
    French
    This is a carbon fiber double bass bow made by Carbow in France. The model is designed by famous archetelier Jean Grunberger and stamped "Robertson & Sons" for sale in North America.

It's a little on the long side of normal, with a very powerful stick. In the interest of full disclosure, I always struggled with using this bow for long, lyrical passages but it really shines in orchestral work: a very controlled bounce and a clear sound across the range, even when very quiet.

Especially considering the price point, this bow compares very favorably with some much-pricier pernambuco bows I've owned, including examples by Rodney Mohr and Reid Hudson. If you were curious, my main bow now is by Roy G Quade (who, sadly, is no longer making).

And, of course, as a carbon fiber it's extraordinarily durable and it'll never need to be re-cambered.

I bought this in 2012 from Robertsons and it has been a delightful & reliable 2nd bow since then. Selling because I've accumulated far, far too many bows and, sadly, need to free up some space and cash.

Just rehaired by Mike Weatherly at David Gage in NYC, the only visible flaws are a very minor ding on the tip and some thumb wear on the leather grip, which has been hidden for the most part for the last five years or so since I've been using a rubber grip on top of it.

If you're in NYC I'd be happy to have you stop by and try it out, otherwise I'll ship it anywhere in the continental USA for free. Abroad I'll tack on the extra shipping.

Price is negotiable! IMG-6077.JPG IMG-6078.JPG IMG-6080.JPG IMG-6081.JPG IMG-6077.JPG IMG-6078.JPG IMG-6080.JPG IMG-6081.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2018