1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cardboard box to ship a bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by MJ5150, Mar 31, 2009.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Any of the local guys need a cardboard box for shipping a bass? I have one that my KSD came in. It's in great shape with a couple surface scratches in it.

I know how hard it always is for me to find a box for shipping a bass, so instead of crumpling this up and recycling it, maybe someone else wants it.

Price....F-R-E-E. Just come get it in Olympia, or meet me in downtown Seattle sometime when I am working. Not sure what FedEx would charge to ship this as I am sure it qualifies as oversize, but it would only weigh a couple pounds. I suppose if one of y'all wanna cover that fee, I will ship it to you.

-Mike

2. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    OK, it's about $10 to ship this to Miami from my house. So I would imagine no more than $15 tops anywhere in the country.

So here is the scoop.....you pay shipping, but it may end up being more than that. FedEx has this nasty habit of charging me one price, then sending me a bill later letting me know it is actually more than the website quoted. So if you're willing to accept that it could be more, I'll send it to you. I will provide the proper documentation to prove it was more so you don't think I'm trying to squeeze you for a few extra bucks to pay for some heroin....uhh, I mean coffee. :)

As always with my freebies....Supporting Members have first dibs. I'll cover the entire expense for the guys I know real well around here. If you're wondering if you are one of those guys, then you aren't. Y'all know who you are.

-Mike

3. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I usually just dig through the dumpster at my local GC to find boxes. I think I have about a dozen in the attic now.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I always just walk in there and ask them for one when I need one. I used to keep a couple of them on hand, but the guys at GC will give me whatever I need if they have it lying around or unbox something if they don't.

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, uh, Mike... what would you ship it in :eyebrow:?

:D

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh geez, I didn't think about that. I have no idea where to find a box big enough to put this box inside. I may need one for a fridge or grandfather clock.

:D

-Mike

7. Piano box?

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I have a piano box that I can ship to you :)

9. Single or double floating piano box?
    Just kidding :)

10. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Just ship it like you're shipping a bass in it. They'll go by the size and sh!t when they check the weight. Tell 'em there's the lightest bass in the world inside. Insure it for a grand . . . :D

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Too bad I'm not coming up your way anytime soon. I don't plan on selling any basses in the near future. But I like to have a box on hand just in case.

Everytime I go to the local GC they tell me all they have is in the dumpster. I have never been able to get a box worth a darn from GC.:rollno:

12. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    i hate shipping things that are empty. My girlfriend shipped me a loaf of bread once in a poster tube. she never taped up the ends. the mail guy showed up with an empty tube and a stupid smile on his face.

13. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Ship an empty box? That's gui**** country right there!!
    :scowl::bassist: