1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Care and feeding of Goncalo Alves

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hover, Mar 15, 2013.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hey folks, just a quick question...I just bought a neck from Warmoth made from this as I liked the look and the price was right...it says no finish is necessary, but having no experience with this wood, if I were to want to put some manner of finish on it / protect it from greying / oxidizing over time, would a light tung-oil suffice, or a wax blend? I want to preserve the look, protect wood in general, and maximize service life.

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No thoughts? I suppose I could just ask Warmoth, sure, but I thought the TB brotherhood might shed some personal experience is all.

3. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Tung oil would definitely do the trick, but I would get it from stew mac and not the kind of stuff you might get for furniture. A lot of the Tung oil for finishing furniture has additives to make it glossier and just isn't as nice. The Tung oil that stew mac sells will give you a nice satin sheen with a few coats. It's pure and meant specifically as a finish for instruments. I've had great luck with it. Some people recommend sealing it with wax afterwards, which I never did. Even though you're neck technically doesn't require finish, the oil is a very good idea. It will do a lot to protect it, and if it ever wears thin, wipe some more on with a piece of cheesecloth and you're good.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thank you good sir, I will give it a shot. Always had good luck with StewMac as well.