care and feeding of rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dave_p, Dec 23, 2005.

1. dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    i have read the other posts about lemon and linseed oil, so i get that much. i bought my bass new in 1993 (a fender jazz plus 5) it has a satin neck with pau ferro fingerboard. i have never oiled the fretboard , it never occured to me until i read a recent post about it. my other basses had either laquered maple fretboards, or my ric had a sealed rosewood board so they required no care. other than neglecting the fingerboard this bass is extremely well kept and clean.

we have had 3 really dry winters in a row and i have a dry house on top of it. my frets are coming up just the tiniest bit and my fret edges now feel rough along the edge of the neck. the bass plays and sounds ok but i realize i have some work in front of me.

what is my course of action? i guess im going to oil the board asap(unless the manual tells me not too), but how much do you think it will cost to have the frets re seated, filed and polished?

or can i take this on myself? i have patience and can follow instructions and i am accustomed to DIY work. i do my own setups, intonation etc.