Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Care/feeding of Cirrus natural finish neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 22, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The little book that came with my new Cirrus bass gives instructions for caring for the poly finished body as well as the natural finish neck. For the neck, tung oil is recommended, along with light finishing with 0000 steel wool.

So, I'm wondering how often I ought to do this. I'm not overly worried about cosmetic perfection / worshipful wood fetish ministrations, just want to keep the feel good and the wood healthy.

I did a search and found a thread debating the merits of various types of oils, but nothing about frequency of care.

Any thoughts appreciated...

2. My 5string wenge-over-walnut loves Warwick wax.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The only thing that I've ever used is lemon oil and an old toothbrush on my bubinga/walnut 5. Usually I do this about twice a year.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I have somewhat oily skin. I have not done anything to the neck or body of my Bubinga/Walnut Cirrus 6 (except wipe it down occasionally) and it looks as good as the day I got it (over a year ago).