1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Care for ebony fretboards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob M, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I've got a bass with a plain ebony fretboard, should I be oiling this regularly or anything to take proper care of it?

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    It shouldn't need anything like that. Just keep it clean, if you care about that. What kinda bass is it?

3. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    It's a Warmoth J bass with p/j pickup config. Black Korina body, Maple Neck, the ebony board, SD vintage P and J pickups, gotoh tuners and bridge. Didn't want to end up with a ****ed up board cause I never oiled it or anything.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    about 2 hrs. of slap/pop ala victorwoot. :)

5. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    You can oil it for good measure. Won't do it any harm.

6. I would say oil once or twice a year should be fine. Lemmon or tung oil should be a good choice. I have also used linseed oil. Lately I have purchased pledge in a pump bottle with orange oil in it. It works well. Whatever you choose be sure to allow time for the oil to soak into the fingerboard. Avoid drastic temperature/humiditiy changes with your bass and never leave it in your vehicle. With this in mind you should be fine.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Like has been said, the occasional oiling is all it takes, if you keep it clean! My Kubicki has an ebony fretboard and I remember when I first got it not being sure about how to care for the board!

8. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Jul 21, 2005
    scotland
    I oil the ebony fretboard on my Jerzy Drozd every time i change strings.Iuse Ritter fingerboard oil and it seems to work just fine.

9. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    The Dunlop 65 guitar care kit is great, it has a fingerboard cleaner as well as a conditioner oil. You can polish your frets up with the fret polishing rag, all you need to add to it is a STIFF toothbrush for getting the grime out along the fret edges and you'll set.

10. Nemesis_2509

Nemesis_2509

Aug 23, 2006
    Texas
    +1

I like the conditioning oil in this kit better then lemon oil and guitar honey which i have also tried. And if you want to polish your frets try using Brasso, just be sure to mask off the wood, works wonders for shiny things!

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Ebony needs very little care, but it can be very sensitive to lack of humidity: it doesn't like dryness.

Be careful if you live in the North not to leave it out in a stand in front of your heater, or something like that!

Oil it lightly at the beginning of winter, and keep the bass in its case when not playing.

12. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    An Alembic bass I had for 16 years (and was my main gig bass) had an ebony fretboard. Never once oiled it........and after 16 years it still looked like new! I did give it a good wipe down after every use.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I give my fretless ebony fingerboard a light rub with lemon oil every time I change strings (which is only about twice a year).