1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Care For Fretless Neck Coated In Epoxy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sludgehead, Aug 17, 2012.

1. sludgehead

sludgehead

Aug 9, 2007
    Hey All,

I own a Fender Jazz Fretless 4 string. Some years ago I had the fretboard given the Jaco treatment (a couple of layers of epoxy for brighter tone).

It's been a while since I played this particular bass, and I suppose due to time and seasonal changes, there are parts of the neck that seem to be a bit dried out. I notice especially towards the nut there seems to be a bit of flaky fragments that come off if I scrape it lightly with my fingernail.

What I'd like to know - is there an oil or some sort of treatment I can rub on it to get rid of the dryness?

I used to use linseed oil on some of my other basses and guitars, but they didn't have fretboards coated with epoxy. If anyone could suggest something it would be appreciated. Especially if there is some kind of household product I can use (as opposed to a more expensive store-bought product).

2. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ....Your epoxy's flaking?

I'd suggest adding more epoxy.

3. davens

davens

Jan 24, 2005
    Stoney Creek, ON
    Is it flaking off all the way down to the wood? If so, how was the fretboard treated / cleaned before the epoxy was applied? I wonder if it was maybe too oily or dirty and the epoxy didn't bond well.

4. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    WWJD- what would Jaco do?

...most likely just throw some more epoxy on and call it a day.

5. sludgehead

sludgehead

Aug 9, 2007
    I'm not exactly sure how the actual fretboard was treated prior to the epoxy application. I had an old bass teacher do it for me back in 2004 and I wasn't there to witness it. I never had any issues with it in the past. The coat seemed to be very strong and never flaked off.

This isn't an extreme amount of flaking here; it's just like a small dusting of fragments coming off. It just seems dry in general. I'd like to put some sort of oil or something to reduce the dryness but I'm concerned what would work over the coat of epoxy.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Oil wont do anything to help the epoxy, if anything it would make it worse.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

+1

Some good close up photos may help