1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Care of bass in low humidity environment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstroSonic, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I'll be moving to the American Southwest from the very humid mid-atlantic in a few weeks and am wondering if I need to do anything special with respect to care and storage of my bass. Tried a search and found very little. A few horror storties about warped necks, frets sticking out more and cracks in the body. Hopefully, those are the exception rather than the rule. I would appreciate any practical advice on care and storage in a low humidity environment, and on the transfer from high to low humidity environments during the move.

TIA

Bob

2. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    The only time I've really seen fret sprout around here has been on basses with sharp fret ends to begin with. It's pretty dry around here, so you have to humidify solid wood acoustic guitars pretty much all of the time. It isn't much of an issue for solid body electrics though. Just don't leave them in the car trunk all day on the summer. I wouldn't worry about the change in environment when moving. Basses go through pretty extreme climate changes from the manufacturer to the store around here with no problem.

3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Dry as all hell here in Denver, so I keep my basses in their cases with a Herco humidifier (the little plastic jar type with clay inside) in each case, and I top them off with water about every two weeks.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Do you have raw/exposed wood anywhere? Some folks sand the finish off their necks. That may be something to pay attention to.
    But in general, as already advised, you're indoors, so it's not extreme conditions. Just have to let it adjust, and then do the proper neck adjustments. Should be fine.
    You'll really enjoy the "dry" heat too.
    :)

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Don't open the cases as soon as you get there. In fact, you may want to put some painter's tape over the seam where the top meets the bottom, with only a couple of gaps.

OTOH, touring bands to from place to place and the climate changes can be much more drastic so, how it reacts depends on your instrument.

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I lived back East, got 2 of my basses and a guitar there. Came out West, have had no issues.

I do all my own maintenance/set-up work, and have seen no fret sprout or warping, no finish issues. They all hold tune, intonate fine, and play nicely. :)

Traveled in hard cases, shipped well packed in uline instrument boxes, fedex. No tape on case seams. I opened the cases when they were received to check for damage, closed em up and let em sit for a day or so, flat, in the room where they would live. Been there since, played pretty much daily. 2 are on wall hangers, 2 are on stands. All good.

wraub

7. Sounds like it will not be a serious issue. Just good common sense. My wife's piano otoh will apparently require some attention...

Thanks for all the replies.

Bob

8. guitarist09

guitarist09

Jul 23, 2012
    what an informative thread! Thank you for sharing you thoughts guys! :D