Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Care to dance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It strikes me as odd that most musicians I meet can't dance. It seems that we should be able to dance better than most, since we're much more aware of what's going on with the music than most non-musicians. What's the story here? When I dance, I look like I'm a one legged duck having a grand mal seizure.

So, do you dance? Can you dance? Will you dance?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I only dance to the slow ones. I look like a one legged duck having a seizure that's been shot and run over by a truck while smoking crack and drinking absinthe otherwise.

edit: I don't know why either.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No, I do not.
    I suppose in theory, I could.
    No, I will not.

The truth is that if I am all alone and the music moves me, I can dance probably just as good as any guy out at the club on Fri or Sat night. Also, if I'm all alone I really enjoy singing and I don't think I'm half bad. But I am a very self conscious person and I would never sing or dance in front of people, period. That's why playing bass appeals to me. Keep me out of the spotlight, thank you very much. I don't want people looking at me.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not surprised - there were several threads around here where we found out that most people were actually introverts - and it does make sense for musicians, as making music is something that allows you to be sociable, without necessarily requiring you to make small talk and do the kind of things that extroverts love, but which drain introverts energy away.

Dancing, to me is classic extrovert behaviour and hence very stressful for introverts, who are more likely to clam up, or head for the nearest corner, bar etc ...?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do a mean jig, does that count?

...My brothers and I are also known to spontaneously start doing "Riverdance." Which alarms people to see us more or less simultaneously start doing the same dance out of the blue. It's not that we're psychic, it's that by the time that first leg has started to rise, and the hands start to hit the hips, we already know what's going on. It looks rather odd, especially when it happens in the middle of a conversation about, say, physics.

"So, given the velocity of the,"
    BAM, Riverdancing.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i can only dance after i have had a few drinks to wind down a bit.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    How much for a video?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For two longhairs, built about like you, Bliss, and a beanpole doing a really crappy imitation of Riverdance that appears to be more or less 1/3 tap, 1/3 hoe down, and 1/3 skanking? ... $50 a pop. Run time is 3 minutes.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    However debilitated, ducks have a certain panache. When *I* dance, it looks rather like a june bug just trying to walk.

I've often wondered the same thing. I practice to a metronome... I'm acutely, nay, obsessively aware of the beat and rhythm. Why can't I dance? Dammit!

:(

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll need a 15 second preview. And can the Beanpole wear a Swedish Milkmaid's style dress?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You'll have to take that up with him. Us two longhairs are down for laderhosen (sp?) though.

And, if you wanna pay for some airline tickets to get us three in the same room, by all means, do.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

So, do you dance?

It's all about the partner. That, and the intoxicants.

Can you dance?

HAHAHAHAHA !
    Bust a move, just try me. [​IMG]

Will you dance?

Hmmm, I barely even know you... :eyebrow:

I used to play with a drummer who was always trying to get me to dance onstage while I was playing. She was a good enough drummer to make that happen pretty frequently too. I miss that, actually. Both of the female singers in my jazz band are very good dancers, and I find it really inspiring to my bass playing.

But seriously, this is an interesting thread, and I feel that learning how to dance could be potentially as useful as learning how to sing (which I believe is critical to musicianship). Just loosening up a little bit on that introversion Bruce mentioned is bound to be a good thing in any case, no?

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I started playing an instrument so I wouldn't have to dance.

I never could.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Charlie, I believe it can hurt. Remember how Elaine danced in Seinfeld?

...yeah.

I've got all the funk of Vanilla Ice and all the smoothness of Gilbert Gottfried, with the sexy allure of Tom Arnold. I shouldn't be seen in direct light, let alone dancing.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have more funk than vanilla ice, but I'm with you otherwise.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have all the vocal stylings of Mr. Tooth, doesn't stop me from putting it in public once in a while. :cool:

I'll be demanding the Riverdance schtick if I ever get a chance to see you gigging in P'town. You may feel free to mock my Verdine White- meets- David Byrne mannerisms anytime too, bro.

I actually used to dance all the time before I started playing in bands and mixing shows, and rarely do anymore. Once I hooked up with my wife, I suddenly started getting accosted in the clubs by hot women, prolly cause I'm now a "safe" old geezer. This never happened when I could have acted on it, of course. Get it while you can, guys.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I too, am dance impaired. I have the not-unusual-in-this-crowd medical distinction of being an ambisiniped. I occasionally will bust out if I am somewhere safe, say at home with nobody but my wife to witness, and Johnny Clegg and Savuka's 'Scatterlings' has just come on the radio.

Even the dance-impaired can't resist that mpaqanqa beat.

Seriously, you've got to listen to some mpaqanqa music. If it doesn't make you want to dance, then your wooden leg must be in the shop. Johnny Clegg is the only mpaqanqa artist I can remember the name of. He had two bands, 'Juluka' and 'Savuka'. I believe those mean 'Sweat' and 'Uplift' respectively, but since I don't speak Swahili, it's anybodies guess.

Oh and 'Asim Bonanga' (sp?) is very cool as well. BUt it won't make you want to dance, or at least it doesn't me.

18. I dance--it's one of the main reasons I got a wireless for the bass, so I could get out and dance with the folks at our shows. (It's less stressful than making small talk, which I'm terrible at...)

I've been told by females in the audience that they like to watch, too, which is always nice to hear.

Mike

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know a couple things, but, despite knowing a couple things, being a lanky 6'4 makes me look ridiculous no matter how well I execute them.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    (Phil Collins voice on)

IIIiii can't dance...

*etc*

It's cool as hell to be able to dance, but... meh, I'm lazy.