care to recommend some carpet for my custom cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Howdy!

This evening, I was corresponding with a friend who is in the early stages of building a cab for me (2x10, 1x15). He asked me what sort of carpet I'd like to have covering it, and me - not knowing much about these things - decided to take it upon myself to pose this querie among those more knowlegable than myself in the hopes of getting some good suggestions, insights, tips and the like - and also with the hope of learning a thing or two about it all I am!

One condition is that the carpet needs to be able to be purchased retail - not online/ if possible, please try to keep that in mind when making recommendations.

So, the basic question is, what sort(s) of carpet(s) would you recommend for my cab that can be purchased retail?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You really need to get your hands on the carpet that is made to put on cabs. Ordinary floot carpet will not bend around the corners.

Have you talked to automotive sound stores?
  3. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    Hey BZ. Voi's finally finishing up your cab I see? excellent. I say get zebra-print!
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    auto floor carpet works just's thin, a very tight/short pile and has a good backing to apply adhesive. It's made to go around corners, etc. I bought mine in the auto dept at Walmart. the trick was getting it to adhere decently. I've used two methods. The first was only spray adhesive--which if allowed to sit up works ok. The other was I just put on a layer of shop/wood glue and coated the cab in it. Then I put the carpet on. That carpet is never coming off.
    If I can recommend also...staple the edges on(if they aren't exposed) first cause this area was the most trouble. it keeps it down while you're working to get the carpet tight on the cab and is some added holding power.
    good luck with it. once you get it down it's really very easy, although "sticky":D
  5. ASS - nooooooooo...Voi has nothing to do with this...Howard's doing it all...
  6. Thanks Xyllion and TxBass...any others?
  7. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    You can't go wrong with shag.
  8. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I built a subwoofer box this weekend and used some leftover headliner fabric from my car. It worked great and matches my interior too :D
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've used indoor/outdoor carpet from the late great Builder's Square. I used gray but they had other colors.

You could probably get bass cab style carpet from a high end car audio store.

Although you don't want to order it, has a great selection.

You can get vinyl at a fabric store like JoAnn Fabrics...not as nice as tolex but it's local.

Actually JoAnn has all sorts of interesting fabrics that could be used on cabinets...but they're not Rock And Roll Black...
  10. A friend of mine suggested offhand using truck bedliner...any thoughts? Further suggestions? Thanks :)
  11. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm building a couple of monitors for my band right now and I don't want to mess with the carpet--one of my friends suggested the same thing. It's definately worth a try...and seems like it would hold up well and not be hard to apply. If it works in a truck bed it can certainly protect a speaker cab.

guess in the end it just depends on what type of look you want for your cab. have fun!:D