1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

career change

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Mar 10, 2010.

My job ,To stay or switch ?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2010.
  1. quit whining and go back to work

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. get out before it destroys your mind and life

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. eat more carrots

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Try yet another employer in my field and see if it's any better

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I am contemplating a total career change at age 42. My current career, which pays very well , has high demands and a total lack of anything resembling a schedule as well as a brutal on-call rotation.. This has resulted, amongst a myriad of other items, in never being able to plan anything without taking unpaid leave or time off , has kept me from pursuing music in a live setting , caused me to miss a lot of my children's functions, damaged other relationships and is now affecting my health as well. The things that have happened and the people I have upset due to "having to work " is endless. I don't believe for a minute it has to be this way. To stay in my current job however ,makes it a very real situation.

I am NOT blaming my career for anything I have done or allowed to happen but , it has been a positive influence in the negative aspects of my life.

Who has made a career flop into something unrelated or distantly related to their former career?

any advice ?

I know it will be one of , if not , the biggest challenges I have ever faced but I have to do something.

2. Life is too short to be miserable bro. If you leave to do something else and it doesn't work out, you can always come back. The industry and company you fork for now will still exist.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yup.

I should probably follow Jim's advice on this myself. (But I can't get out that easy.)

A career change can be really refreshing, and motivating.

Find something you think you'll enjoy more.

4. I say GO FOR IT!!

I quit my "career" :rolleyes: in manufacturing at about the same age. I had been making knives at a hobby level and decided to go all in. At the time, I really had nothing to loose as the pay scale in Florida SUCKS and I hated my job. I was contemplating the situation and one day my boss informed me that I WOULD BE working 12 hours on a saturday and sunday. That was the motivation I needed to clear out my desk, pack up my giant toolbox and roll it out of the building :) I've never had a single regret and I still go to the Christmas party :D

5. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    I quit the Engineering field at 42 to become a nurse. Here I am at 45 and an RN, and I love "the hardest job" I have ever had. Go for it.
    DRoot

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I quit a job at a corporate computer company after realizing that corporate life was not for me. Now I teach 4th grade and that is way more enjoyable. Of course it does pay less. I have never regreted my decision.

bc

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like you're in IT like me. :D I have passed on a couple of positions for more pay because there likely would be after-hours and weekends and on-call work. Screw that. My current position allows me to work basically 8-5 M-F, and I really like that. As Jim said, life is too short. I have a young son and want to spend as much time as I can with him and my wife and other family. If I were single, or our son was out of the house already, it wouldn't matter as much (maybe ;)).

My mantra is: if there is doubt, get out.

8. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I would rather be happy and content in life and be poor or make less money, than be miserable and rich.

Some things just aren't worth it.

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I quit an engineering job with IBM years ago to start my own business. Everyone said I was crazy but it turned out to be the best move I ever made. YMMV

10. Don't count on the grass being greener on the other side. Your job pays
    well because it is so demanding. We are essentially required to be more
    productive these days -- and particularly in this bad economy.

Unless you are ready and willing to take a major pay cut (which will also
    impact your family life and relationships), stick it out. Try to find ways to
    make it work better.

Good paying jobs are very difficult to find right now. And if you land one,
    you'll be low man on the totem pole and working as hard, if not harder,
    to prove yourself.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Book recommendation - "48 Days to the Work You Love"

No affiliation with the writers or publishers, but it is a pretty darn good book.

12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    my local library has it ... I'll check it out.
    thanks

I am pretty sure that I'm having a mid life crisis of sorts but something is gnawing at me to at least do some self exploration .....

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Then it is definitely the book for you. Full disclosure, it's written with a fairly large spiritual lean, but it's still very good.

14. davkane

davkane Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    I am ready to thrown in now too. Will check out the book mentioned above too. When you hate to get up and go in, I can only imagine it is impacting your health.

Life is to short and tomorrow is never guaranteed.

15. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    Get out. Perhaps you will find a job with a pay cut, but if you're happy, and that it helps you to live better out of job, with relationship, children, music, etc, you will earn a lot more than the pay cut. And perhaps even earn some years to live. Stress is a serial killer.

16. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    I could not agree more. Stress is the most dangerous killer afoot. Life is too short, my friend. You say your current position is damaging personal relationships, causing you to miss activities involving your children, and now it's damaging your health? How much money is worth that? I mean, really, at the end of the day, what it is worth? Your kids won't be kids forever. The relationships you value won't remain without input from you. And your health... Well. Where are we without our health, right?

Someone posted earlier about jobs being scarce and finding ways to make your current job schedule work. I have to assume you've tried everything you can or you wouldn't be posting your dilemma on TB. Don't buy into the fear mongering. I'm not saying it'll be smooth sailing making a career change (but hey, it might be), but if you're clear in your mind about what you want, need, and why you're making the change, chances are you'll find ways to make it work. It's about knowing what's most important in your own heart and trusting that you'll make the connections you need to make in order to find the right balance in life for you. Wishing you much success and happiness!

Edit: To quote my mother's great line, "There is not a single soul on the planet who, on their deathbed, said, 'I'm so glad I paid off my Visa bill.'"

17. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    I just did a career, country, lifestyle change, now I have less money but I'm feeling great. So I can only recommend it. Good luck!

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Down size your life style. Get by on the least amount of money.

Changing careers usually means little or no income while you go to school. If you don't have the cash you'll come out with loans as well.

Maybe take an aptitude test at one of the local colleges. Also, research "where the jobs are" type stuff. High schools need math teachers regardless of the economy. Nurses are in demand. Etc.

My wife changed careers at 40. By 46 she graduated with a Master's degree and we have never regretted it because she's doing something she loves and has a gift for.
    Sure we have debt but it was all worth while.

Good luck.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020