1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Career Change

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    So I've decided to change careers. Not that I don't like my current job. For the last few years I've been driving trucks after realizing that accounting, as well as i did there, wasn't my thing. Driving has been good to me I get to see cool things, drive a giant truck, and make decent money doing it. However I cant do it forever, its a lonely job that just isn't a good fit for everybody. And I'm reaching that point in life where its time to hang it up and come home and stay home. So shortly now, until my new company gets a new driver on the line. Ill be calling it quits and going back to school. I'm going to go back and get a degree in computer science. Its a crappy time to find a job and go to school in this country. But after driving a truck over the Rockies in the snow, there are harder things than school.

I don't post in OT a ton and rarely lay down a whole paragraph. But its worth putting out there since I know most of you guys to be pretty cool and supportive.

2. That's good to hear. You're motivated, so you'll do well. :)

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thought about driving for an LTL carrier?

4. Good luck! Sounds like you have it well under control.

lowsound

5. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Thats what I do now. I did OTR for almost 2 years. I do LTL regional now and its been really good for me, home almost every day, salary pay, good benefits. But i just cant do it forever, and I know there's only so much I can make short of O/O which i really don't want to do .

6. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Actually, your timing on the CS degree might be pretty good. By the time you're finishing, the economy will be turning, hopefully. I would caution you about piling up a bunch of student debt though. Be practical about your choice of schools and your salary expectations. Go for it if that's what you really want.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like you've thought it through. Good luck with the new direction! From a professor's perspective, I'll say that a lot of my favorite students are the older, "non-traditional" types. They know what they're there for, are better motivated and organized, and appreciate the chance to get an education better than the 18-year-olds who just cruised into college from high school.

8. +1

Mature students have a better track record, they tend to have solid reasons for doing thier courses other than "I finished school" !

9. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I drove OTR for several years (including a 3-year stint as a driver-trainer). When I came in off the road, I finished my undergrad in Management Information Systems (I'm an accounting minor) while I worked in traffic for a local factory. With that degree and that experience, you could do well working in almost any branch of supply chain for a lot of companies out there. If you want to know more details, feel free to ask.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I definitely echo the comments about nontraditional students doing well at school. I did my first two years of undergraduate at a branch campus that was about half non-traditional students, and they were definitely the most motivated students there and, on average, made the highest grades.

I think getting your butt kicked by the real world and menial jobs does something to motivate you when you decide to go to school. I went to college four years after HS, and I know that was my personal experience.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Good luck with the career change.

12. Good luck man. School can be tough but you sound like you have got things figured out.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    “Of course, it’s a bit of a jump, isn’t it? I mean, er … chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go … You don’t think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking?"

14. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm in a similar boat, beginning to think seriously about leaving my current field and get into tech. Pretty much all of my friends and acquaintances are in the tech sector and they all make double to triple what I make. I just to need to find a good night school so I can keep my current job while I prepare for the switch.

15. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Yeah I did a TON of research into school costs. Luckily I've been able to save a decent amount of money. Originally it was a down payment for a house, but seeing as I can never seem to settle in one town I might as well use it for school.