1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Career Girl Swoonery

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Nov 26, 2018.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Working on a bunch of Steely Dan tunes from Gaucho for a tribute band I'm playing with now, and realizing more and more how ultra bad AJ sounds on the 4 string bass. I'm always so focused on his incredible 6 string playing, and I know he did a bunch of that Chaka stuff on his 4 string "career girl", but damn, his tone is matched only by his timing and the crafting of his basslines on that record.

If you looked up "ringer" in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of AJ.

The man.......

Pbassmanca and JRA like this.
  2. Cover Girl certainly earned her place of high honor in the Bass Pantheon Hall of Fame along with the Bass of Doom, the Brown Bass and a few others.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

bada$$ cat.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Whoah, I never saw that clip before, thanks! Probably the only time in my life that I wished Chaka would get out of the shot!

I swear I saw a sunburst bass with a white pickguard? I don't know. But as usual he sounded amazing.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    J.Wolf,

Have you seen this?

If you dig Anthony's playing on the 'career girl' and you haven't seen it, you must check it out...

Pbassmanca and J.Wolf like this.
  7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    awesome, will check that out when I get a moment!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Watch the whole thing - use good headphones if you can

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. AJ hasn't played a bad note in his career. He's absolutely tremendous no matter what bass he has in his hands. Still, I think his tone and playing was best served with the six strings he worked so tirelessly to develop. In particular, the early 90's phase where he was playing a Fodera Contrabass 6 with a bridge pickup (see his live sessions with Simon Phillips) really hit the spot for me. The tone was just immense.

Pbassmanca likes this.