Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

careers in bass

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by fitchy_rocks, Mar 7, 2006.

1. hey rufus
    i'm in school and am about to go to college here in england. I'm getting good grades in music (and not much else) , am in a band, and would like to know from a pro like yourself what the best careers to do with music, or more precisely bass. What jobs would you consider involving the bass? i am considering whether or not to be a builder/repairer as i recently "pimped" a friend's budget guitar with out mess and with great results. Thanks.

2. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hi there-
    So, first of all, good for you going to college to pursue bass.Excellent!
    As to what path to follow-for instance instrument building-you should see what you feelings are and how they direct you ove rthe next few years-
    For example-
    I never thought about Bass /Instrument Building in general, although now I am pretty interested in what makes up a good bass. I would say if at this relatively early stage in your bass career, the fact you already did some work on your friend's guitar makes me think you may have a natural aptitude for that.
    I see no reason why you couldn't be a great player and bass builder. In fact , a good friend of mine, Carey Nordstrand ( www.nordstrandguitars.com)
    also makes pretty killer instruments and pick ups-plays bass pretty well-a fact that I am CERTAIN makes him a better bass builder. His understanding of the mechanics of theinstrument go pretty deep-in fact he made a pick up for me that is pretty unbelievable..I'm sure you could drop Carey a line too for advice, although in England there are also guys like Pete Stephens who make Wal Basses (i had one-amazing) and Haydn Williams (williams Guitars-he is super talented and a very nice guy)
    Look these guys up online-ask questions-see if you can visit their workshops...Learn everything!
    Also, careers that involve your bass could include composition (for bands,film,t.v. etc...) teaching-something I have always enjoyed alongside playing-whether at M.I. London (for a couple of years) The Bass Collective N.Y.C. and Masterclass stuff out here in L.A......
    I was lucky, 'cause I studied hard myself, so I have some flexibility. I've toured with jazz stuff, rock groups, done stuff on Broadway in New York and London -which is where my sightreading came in handy....
    Try to cover any and everything you can at this point when you have the freedom to study hard.
    Good Luck -kep me posted on how you are progressing and say hi to Haydn!!! (I still have a 6 string fretless he made me when he worked for Overwater-beautiful!)