1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Careers in Jazz

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Jim Nazium, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I know and have talked to a fair number of Jazz pros in the UK and they do all sort of things. Their training and skill in sight reading enables them to step into all sorts of other jobs as well as playing Jazz gigs.

Of course number 1 is teaching others - which is a steady income, then they can step into sessions for all types of recordings. Big bands, stage bands to support musicals or dancing, even TV shows where they need a reliable live band- horn section for big name pop/rock bands etc etc.
    I also know others who are composers and write music for Movies or TV incidental music.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Further to the above I was on a week's Jazz Summerschool with a great Jazz guitarist called John Paricelli and he told us (his students) that the previous week he had been on a Greek Island teaching Nicholas Cage (Yes that one!!) how to play the Mandolin! What a gig! :p

(He also wrote the incidental music to that film)

3. OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Jul 10, 2011
    Wilmington, DE
    Oh I loved it! I know a handful of each stereotype..

4. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love this thing, I read it every other time it gets posted on here. If I get my **** together, I might be able to become a Working Wife-type.

5. lorianb

lorianb

Apr 10, 2011
    Ottawa
    Ouch!