1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Careless neighbor burned my bass's poly finish with a soldering iron

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by giantrobotswinbig, Jun 28, 2017.

1. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig

May 7, 2015
    TL/DR
    - Is it possible to repair this crack/burn to my bass's poly finish? (It's by Fender and from 2016.)

20170627_194419%201.

20170627_194522.

20170627_194617.

Update: I was able to resolve the issue. Thank you for your posts!

Do any of you have any advice about repairing a metallic poly finish?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Patina!

Cigarette burns used to be a badge of honor from playing 5 nights a week at Smokey bars, dives and hole-in-the-wall beer joints.

For your solder buddy, tell him how you feel.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Is that a metallic finish? I'm sure one of the experts has some good tips but I don't think that will be an easy fix without being noticeable. I don't blame you for being upset. Contrary to what your friend told you, that kind of mark is not inevitable. That kind of mark is a sure sign of somebody who uses zero precaution when soldering.

giantrobotswinbig likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Idjits shouldn't be allowed near a soldering iron.

5. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    While I don't think he should have such a cavalier attitude, I personally would just call it a personality mark and move on.

gebass6 and JMacBass65 like this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You could probably buff out the burn, but that won't help the crack. A good repair person/painter could probably touch it up, though.

7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Lightly sand away the discoloration to see how deep it goes. Then ...

Repoly and sand/polish.

Drill a hole right there and add a superfluous strap lock.

Sand it to bare wood for that road-worn look.

?

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Really? Let it go. Seriously. People are more important than basses. Get your priorities straight.

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Word of the day

TC424 likes this.
  10. People who mess up my stuff & then think nothing of it aren't worth keeping around.

gebass6, Jeff Scott, Duder and 6 others like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Tough call. Friends who last more than ten years are rare. Was he being kind of a jerk? Sure he was.

By the pics it looks as though it's on the bottom. No big deal to me. But I'm not you.

My wish for you is that you get to play so many gigs that mark will be one of many. To me, a pristine bass is an unused bass.

Tell your buddy he's being a dipstick for not apologizing. Punch the crap out of his upper arm like buddies do. Then offer to solder something on his guitar. The point is, bros before basses. Remind him that he's a big jerk and then move on.

Funny, mildly related, story. My Grandfather both a brand new truck in the late 70s. His sons (my uncles) were loading firewood into it the next day. They were being meticulous about how they loaded it so as not to scratch or dent the truck. My Grandfather asked what they were doing and they told him they were just being careful. He grabbed a log and ranged the crap out of the tire well inside the bed leaving a big sent in his brand new truck. He said "I bought it to be used as a truck. Now load that wood and let's get outs here". That became a tradition in my family. The only new vehicle I ever bought was a 1993 Ford Ranger. Yep, my grandfather christened it with a log on the right side tire well.

THE point of all that loosely ties in here. Play the ever loving crap out if that bass without worrying about marks, dents, scratches, etc.

And, yes, your buddy was still being a jerk. Call him a jerk and move on. Some of my worst arguments have been with my best friends.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would see if you can carefully remove the discoloring and then start slowly dropfilling the area with CA, leveling it and blending it as you go ending with a polish of the area.

fhm555, Pilgrim, Lownote38 and 4 others like this.
  13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Consider it a relic job, some people would pay for that.

14. I would use micro-mesh abrasive pads to remove the discolored poly.
    Fill the crack with cyanoacrylate.
    Level and polish with the micro-mesh.

Use a coarse pad to start, and work your way up to the finest.
    Rinse the pads in water often during use.

Micro-Mesh Pen Sanding Kit

I bet you could make the repair just about invisible.

giantrobotswinbig and SirMjac28 like this.
  15. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig

May 7, 2015
    Thanks! I'll check out the micro mesh link you sent.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig

May 7, 2015
    This is my perspective as well. If I had made the mark myself (or if he had expressed remorse), it wouldn't bother me so much. It's his lack of an apology and not taking any accountability that is revealing about his character

Jeff Scott likes this.
  17. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig

May 7, 2015
    Thanks! I'll look into this. Do you have any recommendations for cyanoacrylate?

18. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sometimes people are too embarrassed to apologize. They try to make it a joke to release some of the pressure they feel themselves about making the mistake.

When you are calm, you could talk to him and say what you feel. No need to do it in an offensive way, as that usually makes it worse in these kinds of situations. Just explain to him how you feel about the situation and that the least he could have done is apologized. Maybe he will see the light and actually do so.

As said above, friends for 10 years is a long time, but hate between neighbours can seem like eternity!

Aaron Mc, DirtDog and yodedude2 like this.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That would drive me insane I remember when I was a young kid and I volunteered to do some yard work for my Grandmother I did the job and she wasn't satisfied with it and as I started to pout she told me " Even if you do something for free you still have to do it right" I think some people figure if they do you a favor it frees them of any responsibility I hope you are able to get it fixed.

Jeff Scott and giantrobotswinbig like this.
  20. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig

May 7, 2015
    It could be that he felt overwhelmed by embarrassment, but his not expressing any remorse at all was an awful way to handle that kind of situation. Oof. I am concerned about the neighbor dynamic, so I will address things sternly but politely when the time comes.

lfmn16 and JACink like this.