carin RC210 or Cyclops

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loudmouth, Mar 26, 2001.

1. loudmouth

Mar 22, 2001
    I was wondering what would be better the Carvin RC210 or Carvin Cyclops. I want something that will be loud enough for a local band. Should i get the cyclops or the rc210 with a ext. cab added later, and if i did this 18" or 15" cab. i would like to be heard but not sure on which would be better for me. thanx for your help.

p.s. i play a Ibanez gsr 200 4 string
  2. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    i'm also considering a similar rig but i haven't made up my mind if it's going to be a carvin. but anyhow, for portability i'd say go with the 2x10 now and add the 1x18 later. some have said that the rc210 was sufficient for small clubs/stages, YMMV. you can always go DI into the house PA if that option is available. the cyclops, for me, is pretty big considering my size and the car i drive.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My rig is an RC210 with a home-made 1X15 cab...

(see it at )

Like ubersam says, I use the combo alone for about 75% of the stuff I do which is gigging/jamming with a blues outfit, gigging with a 70's/80's cover band, jamming with an all original, alternative 'pop' outfit, church, and occasionally practicing with a 16-horn big band. The combo alone cuts all of that. The last gig I played on the 17th was the first in ages that I hauled out the 1X15, and that was only because I was using my Ashbory bass for the first time at a gig and wanted the lows to really stand out... (side note: The Ashbory bass looks like a toy, but gives some of the <b>HUGEST</b> bass tones around. Use with caution!)

Whichever you choose will be an acceptable amp... I chose the RC210 for portability and scalabillity

4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You got that right ubbie.

I love my cyclops. But it is a pain to move. I would rather have the redeye combo.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of my Carvins is the Cyclops, but I'd suggest the RC210. The Cyclops is right for me, because it doesn't leave my house often. (Actually, it's way too much for home practice, but I mistakenly thought Gig Magazine was BS'ing about its "pounding out club filling bass all night long)."

If you get the RC210 and find it's adequate, you'll have a lot less weight and bulk to haul around. If it isn't adequate in volume, you can always add a 15" or 18" and end up with more speaker area/volume than you would with the Cyclops alone.

Remarks by many owners of the RC210 that I've read note how loud it is. IMO, the R600 head is way more muscle than the Cyclops cab can handle with no sweat.
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You could always get the RL610 stack (separate R600, 2x10, and 1x15) or buy it in pieces. I just ordered the RL610 stack for the main reasons of versitility and portability (each component is light compared to a combo and I can get creative as to which speakers I use).